Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I think it sounds like a well thought out plan. I wonder if you would like to scoop up the bedding from the nest box she has chosen. I think being an animal, with keen sense of smell, that familiar scent could be reassuring to her. And then just put new in the favored box for the rest, they already like that box, so don't need to be reassured.

I ventured into the incubator once more since I didn't have any pips and checked on my squashed chick. Her legs are still very wonky but she's definitely on the mend. Turns out it's a favorelle - I have eggs from another byc'er and didn't even remember she gave me SF eggs. :p Anyways, the little one is now opening his or her eyes, peeping up a storm and flopping around the brooder. She may end up with hobbles, but I'll give her time and let her peep in there to encourage the others. :)

I think it sounds like a well thought out plan. I wonder if you would like to scoop up the bedding from the nest box she has chosen. I think being an animal, with keen sense of smell, that familiar scent could be reassuring to her. And then just put new in the favored box for the rest, they already like that box, so don't need to be reassured.

okay - I moved some of her bedding over too - so now I just need to move her once it's dark.

Yeah - hopefully she will make it.

I ventured into the incubator once more since I didn't have any pips and checked on my squashed chick. Her legs are still very wonky but she's definitely on the mend. Turns out it's a favorelle - I have eggs from another byc'er and didn't even remember she gave me SF eggs. :p Anyways, the little one is now opening his or her eyes, peeping up a storm and flopping around the brooder. She may end up with hobbles, but I'll give her time and let her peep in there to encourage the others. :)

Awwhhh such a cutie - I know what it is - a cute chick! JK. I haven't a clue what it would be - but it sure looks pretty. Does it have feathers on it's leg or is that just the pic?

Here is our first ever chick broody hatch. Can anyone tell us what it may be ? We got misc. eggs from another chicken gal and she has rhode island reds, barred rocks, buff rocks, white rocks, white rhode islands . She was born early this morning, still wet when I woke up.
ok, hope this works LOL I have tried about everything now to show my chick and get an opinion on what it is.

Well, our first Polish broody has her chicks a hatchin'! But here is my problem...

Yesterday we had the first hatcher who, was thrown out of the nest. So I put her back with mom and she instantly began pecking her (Not soft little comforting pecks...hard pecks) then she grabbed her by the head and began shaking the chick. I instantly intervened I just COULDN"T watch this :hmm So now that chick is in our garage with 2 other chicks that had hatched last night at 3 in the morning. I wasn't sure if she would still be mean so I went and got them out so the other little one could have a buddy. This morning we went out there to discover 2 more had hatched yet the hen wasn't picking on them (Except for when they came out from under her, she pecked their feet) I really would love if the hen could raise them but I'm worried now since I've separated the 3 she wont accept them. :/ I know stupid move but I felt bad that the other little one didn;t have a buddy. Do you think she'll accept them? And what is the best way to......put them in with her?

Awwhhh such a cutie - I know what it is - a cute chick! JK. I haven't a clue what it would be - but it sure looks pretty. Does it have feathers on it's leg or is that just the pic?

Quote:
. Wow never noticed the feet, ot sure if it's feathers or her feet. I'm to scared to look again since I do not want to bother mama she is a pretty chick, but since I'm no chick expert, heck im not an expert at anything I have no clue what I have, but dang she is cute and mama loves her !

Well, our first Polish broody has her chicks a hatchin'! But here is my problem...

Yesterday we had the first hatcher who, was thrown out of the nest. So I put her back with mom and she instantly began pecking her (Not soft little comforting pecks...hard pecks) then she grabbed her by the head and began shaking the chick. I instantly intervened I just COULDN"T watch this :hmm So now that chick is in our garage with 2 other chicks that had hatched last night at 3 in the morning. I wasn't sure if she would still be mean so I went and got them out so the other little one could have a buddy. This morning we went out there to discover 2 more had hatched yet the hen wasn't picking on them (Except for when they came out from under her, she pecked their feet) I really would love if the hen could raise them but I'm worried now since I've separated the 3 she wont accept them. :/ I know stupid move but I felt bad that the other little one didn;t have a buddy. Do you think she'll accept them? And what is the best way to......put them in with her?
that's to bad , maybe she is not cut out to be a mama? I think it was good to take them away and keep them safe under a light.

A very stupid thing has happened today, my only purebreed bantam girl (pekin) has gone broody! Before then she was laying perfect eggs fertilised with a rooster but the annoying thing is I gave away all the eggs to other breeders and now I have no fertilised eggs to put under her, Its so frustrating!
he.gif

At least I've got 12 pekin eggs under a broodie which is may hatch on Monday, I have not had good luck with broodie hatches lately for some reason besides the fertility.

Last edited:
A very stupid thing has happened today, my only purebreed bantam girl (pekin) has gone broody! Before then she was laying perfect eggs fertilised with a rooster but the annoying thing is I gave away all the eggs to other breeders and now I have no fertilised eggs to put under her, Its so frustrating!
he.gif

At least I've got 12 pekin eggs under a broodie which is may hatch on Monday, I have not had good luck with broodie hatches lately for some reason besides the fertility.

Oh Shucks, you'll just have to order some hatching eggs from a breeder, you know something you've always wanted.
big_smile.png
That's what I would do at least and put them under her.

Back
Top Bottom