Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

at 3 to 3.5 weeks old they are old enough to fend for themselves. Many hens protect them longer, many do not.

Curious. Why would you take her babies and raise them? Chickens are better at raising chickens than humans are
Oh, i thaught it was 8 weeks they started rejecting them and do the not still need warmth? and i didnt take her babies? :)

We don't have any serious problems here either, stony. She has hatched out 2x in the main coop and the only issues have been the other hens adding their contributions to the nest. My one problem this go-round was a broken egg in all the jostling of other hens climbing on board.

Oh, i thaught it was 8 weeks they started rejecting them and do the not still need warmth? and i didnt take her babies? :)
I quoted chicklady with that response. She said she takes the babies. I was wondering why/

Chickens can't tell time and can't read calenders. They go by instinct. In the summer at 3.5 weeks old they do not need mama's warmth. Chicks don't need nearly the warmth people think they need. I have mama's bring day old chicks out in the snow when it is in the lower 30's farenheit. The chicks are fine at a day old as long as mama warms them once in a while. As humans we need to learn to let the chickens live their chicken lives and observe and ONLY interfere when ABSOLUTELY needed. Chickens know how to be chickens better than we meer mortal humans do. As people we have made chickens and all livestock weaker.

I agree with you 100% stoneykill. People interfere way too much. I have had a problem with chicks getting hurt, but during a two broody scuffle and one must have been in the way. Darn it! They do get pretty intense while scratching too, although I've seen them go flying and get stepped on, I haven't had one injured that way, slightly dazed for a second but they learn very quick. Which is one reason I moved my broody to a bigger area. In a few days I will open the door so they can go outside, it's a four foot ladder for them to get down, so we'll see who is brave enough. It usually takes alot of coaxing, but they manage. Usually they'll be outside all day long...rain or shine. I would let them be with the flock, only I can't trust my dogs just yet...they prob wouldn't go after them to kill (learned that lesson) but to step on would be just as tragic.

I quoted chicklady with that response. She said she takes the babies. I was wondering why/

Chickens can't tell time and can't read calenders. They go by instinct. In the summer at 3.5 weeks old they do not need mama's warmth. Chicks don't need nearly the warmth people think they need. I have mama's bring day old chicks out in the snow when it is in the lower 30's farenheit. The chicks are fine at a day old as long as mama warms them once in a while. As humans we need to learn to let the chickens live their chicken lives and observe and ONLY interfere when ABSOLUTELY needed. Chickens know how to be chickens better than we meer mortal humans do. As people we have made chickens and all livestock weaker.

I agree Stony OTHER people mess with their chicks way too much. Not me though I just like to dress mine in adorable outfits and have them over for tea parties. ;)

2 questions:

1. I placed eggs under my broody on Thu. the 12th of July in the afternoon. Most people seem to say broody chickie eggs hatch sooner, so does that mean probably they will be hatching on Wed. afternoon? (20 days later)
2. My broody is in a mobile next box, and she is still in the main coop. I want to take her out because I let all of my other chickens free range (just leave the coop door open all day) and I have cats that will eat babies. Is it safe too move her or will she be upset? I know she is probably on "lock-down" now. I could also move when the babies start to hatch, but I'd like to move her tomorrow.

I started with 9 eggs under her and she now has 6. Fingers crossed all six hatch and the three she ate were the duds that wouldn't have hatched.

2 questions:

1. I placed eggs under my broody on Thu. the 12th of July in the afternoon. Most people seem to say broody chickie eggs hatch sooner, so does that mean probably they will be hatching on Wed. afternoon? (20 days later)
2. My broody is in a mobile next box, and she is still in the main coop. I want to take her out because I let all of my other chickens free range (just leave the coop door open all day) and I have cats that will eat babies. Is it safe too move her or will she be upset? I know she is probably on "lock-down" now. I could also move when the babies start to hatch, but I'd like to move her tomorrow.

I started with 9 eggs under her and she now has 6. Fingers crossed all six hatch and the three she ate were the duds that wouldn't have hatched.

Interesting question, can't wait to hear more on the broodies=faster hatch. I have heard that bantam eggs can hatch faster. :)

2 questions:

Congrats on the broody and soon hatching chicks!

Yes count 21 days from the date you put the eggs under her and be ready. They might hatch earlier if it's hot and humid where you live.

I wouldn't move her if she's hatching on weds. I'd just let her stay until they've all hatched out. Maybe put some wire over the opening or over her so no one will eat them if you are worried. Once they hatch she will probably take them out after a few days and she will protect them from all predators, even cats.

Forgot to add that if you are going to move her before they hatch be sure to do it at night and cover her head with a towel so she can't see. Make sure it's dark or she will probably reject the move and could abandon the eggs.

Last edited:
Congrats on the broody and soon hatching chicks!
Yes count 21 days from the date you put the eggs under her and be ready. They might hatch earlier if it's hot and humid where you live.
I wouldn't move her if she's hatching on weds. I'd just let her stay until they've all hatched out. Maybe put some wire over the opening or over her so no one will eat them if you are worried. Once they hatch she will probably take them out after a few days and she will protect them from all predators, even cats.
Forgot to add that if you are going to move her before they hatch be sure to do it at night and cover her head with a towel so she can't see. Make sure it's dark or she will probably reject the move and could abandon the eggs.

Hummm... It's been in the mid 90s to high 80s on average but humidity is low; like 13%. Do you think they will be early?

Back
Top Bottom