Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

Ok I would only move her if you HAVE to move her. I moved mine because the chickens would not leave her alone & they got into a huge bloody fight. So if she's not in any danger of a predator getting to her or persistent bugging I would leaver her.

You can't change your profile saying it just automatically does it I think it depends on how many posts you make.

I am also completely obsessed with these eggs - maybe you & I can obsess over them together!!!! This will be so much fun
celebrate.gif

This is just more fun than I ever thought it could be. My family is completely convinced I have lost my mind and I HAVE!!
love.gif
I am 100% in love with those eggs, that darn moody broody woman on those eggs and of course....the other 2 hens and my boy. Just nuts over them. Is this your first hatch, too?
big_smile.png

When my duck Hope got off her eggs this afternoon, I went in and candled. Now I can see movement. It is just so cool. Still have a broody wanna be that is on the 2 newest goose eggs.
hmm.png

Well...it's official...Ms. Alice is broody. My husband was in a bit of a panic the other morning and called me because (as he put it) it looked like the duck "blew up" and is "all fuzzy". He wasn't sure what happened. I explained that it was normal and she was lining her nest...but he was funny!
gig.gif

Well, my previous baby abandoner ( of a lone duckling) hatched out 15!!!!! I thought 6-8 but 15!! Technically 16. I got home this afternoon and checked her nest and there was a baby in there, still in the shell, with ants swarming out of the hole it had made. I brought it inside, helped it out and got the ants out. I am hopeful that it will be okay and I can put it outside tomorrow.

I still can't believe that she was able to hatch out that many. I had been having a problem with my younger drakes and twice found her off the nest with the eggs scattered around and kind of chilled. The extra drakes went to the freezer and apparently all was good.

So introducing, Pink and her babies. She had better not abandon these.

Congrats jdywntr !!!!

wee.gif

Happy to hear it. How old was the previous clutch she abandoned?

And, I've never candled the eggs before. I just let her (and nature) do her (their) thing. Why do you all candle?

Congrats jdywntr !!!!

wee.gif

Happy to hear it. How old was the previous clutch she abandoned?

And, I've never candled the eggs before. I just let her (and nature) do her (their) thing. Why do you all candle?
Thanks. It was only a few days old when she abandoned it. It was the only one to hatch back in early March and it found it's own foster mom in another of my girls that was still setting. I think only 1 wasn't enough to make her attach for her first hatch.

I don't candle my eggs either. I'll check to make sure the eggs are fertile if the pair are young before letting someone go broody but after that, its basically up to them.

This is just more fun than I ever thought it could be. My family is completely convinced I have lost my mind and I HAVE!!
love.gif
I am 100% in love with those eggs, that darn moody broody woman on those eggs and of course....the other 2 hens and my boy. Just nuts over them. Is this your first hatch, too?
big_smile.png

Yeah this is my first hatch too! Not only is my family convinced that I have lost my mind the ducks think I have lost my mind too. I took the duck off the nest earlier & I counted the eggs again we have 17 now I must have missed counted them.
lau.gif

Well, my previous baby abandoner ( of a lone duckling) hatched out 15!!!!! I thought 6-8 but 15!! Technically 16. I got home this afternoon and checked her nest and there was a baby in there, still in the shell, with ants swarming out of the hole it had made. I brought it inside, helped it out and got the ants out. I am hopeful that it will be okay and I can put it outside tomorrow.

I still can't believe that she was able to hatch out that many. I had been having a problem with my younger drakes and twice found her off the nest with the eggs scattered around and kind of chilled. The extra drakes went to the freezer and apparently all was good.

So introducing, Pink and her babies. She had better not abandon these.

clap.gif
they are adorable wow !!!!

i put long dead grass from my field and put a bunch of it beside my ducks nest and i go back like 10 mins later and my duck is gone lol all the long dead grass stuff is covering her all i could see was a bit of her tail feathers lol shes magic shes there one min and then gone the other .. i still hope she can hatch most .. i have a problem though i just proved there are rats i had a egg set in a nest to get my hens to lay in there and i go out the next day and the egg is gone i couldn't find it by the nest to see if it got knocked out some how but its gone no shells around no yolk or anything so im gusseing a rat got it some how and i don't want them bugging my broody duck for her eggs and if there are a couple then i don't think she can protect the eggs by her self what do i do ???

Back
Top Bottom