Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
I'll Quote from our lovely Miss Lydia from the thread last year

"Just thought it might be nice to see if anyone who is letting mama take care of brooding might like to post her e and ask questions or just share their experience. Make sure you tell us the breed of your duck too and of course pics. Things you have learned and things you will do different next time. How easy it was to sell the ducklings or if your planning on keeping them. "

Last edited:
Since i started this i'll begin, Dusty a Muscovy began her nest quest on Feb 6th respectively. This is not her first nest, she had 2 live hatches last year, sadly only one made it. Last i saw she only had 2/3 eggs, now she may have added more but she's a small setter not that i am complaining, i actually tried to siderail this several times but she was beyond determined. So i've given up. If any ducklets come from this hatch, i will keep them drakelets will likely go.

Since i started this i'll begin, Dusty a Muscovy began her nest quest on Feb 6th respectively. This is not her first nest, she had 2 live hatches last year, sadly only one made it. Last i saw she only had 2/3 eggs, now she may have added more but she's a small setter not that i am complaining, i actually tried to siderail this several times but she was beyond determined. So i've given up. If any ducklets come from this hatch, i will keep them drakelets will likely go.

Beautiful pic, look forward to seeing the end result. [as I try my best to keep this from happening here] although how can a person say no to a face like that?
love.gif

Here are mine. 2 now.

So this girl should be hatching around the 22nd of this month. She is on 15 eggs (I think)

This girl should be hatching at the end of March. Again I think 15 under her.

And this is what all of the ducklings are probably going to look like. These are some of the 13 that hatched in December. Mom FINALLY left them about a week ago. At least these I know are split to chocolate and I think that my choc broody is only sitting on her own eggs. The black barred is on a shared nest so I'm hoping for a touch more variety instead of only black barred babies. Very difficult to count them when they all look alike.

Here are mine. 2 now.

So this girl should be hatching around the 22nd of this month. She is on 15 eggs (I think)

This girl should be hatching at the end of March. Again I think 15 under her.

And this is what all of the ducklings are probably going to look like. These are some of the 13 that hatched in December. Mom FINALLY left them about a week ago. At least these I know are split to chocolate and I think that my choc broody is only sitting on her own eggs. The black barred is on a shared nest so I'm hoping for a touch more variety instead of only black barred babies. Very difficult to count them when they all look alike.
So looks like Kudos go to jw for first broodies of the year. What pretty girls!! ya'll are really making it hard for me you know.
wink.png

I'll post some photos soon, our first year with Welsh Harlequins, we have 3 ducks & 2 drakes, is there anything
special we need to setup inside their coop to help the ducks along with a safe & successful hatch ?

I'll post some photos soon, our first year with Welsh Harlequins, we have 3 ducks & 2 drakes, is there anything
special we need to setup inside their coop to help the ducks along with a safe & successful hatch ?
Lots of bedding for nest making and a kind of out of the way place for privacy thats about all they need. well other than where ever they nest it be safe from preds.

I started providing totes for my girls to nest in. I have earthen floors so I cut a duck size hole in the end and put the tote upside down over a nest. It provides a lot of privacy and helps keep the heat in at this time of year. Even my chickens like them. I keep finding one of my young jersey giant pullets sitting on the unoccupied duck nest.
roll.png
I don't mind another broody but I don't know if a chicken will set an additional 2 weeks for scovy eggs. I do need some chicks too, not just ducklings so I'm hoping she will set on her own eggs.

I started providing totes for my girls to nest in. I have earthen floors so I cut a duck size hole in the end and put the tote upside down over a nest. It provides a lot of privacy and helps keep the heat in at this time of year. Even my chickens like them. I keep finding one of my young jersey giant pullets sitting on the unoccupied duck nest.
roll.png
I don't mind another broody but I don't know if a chicken will set an additional 2 weeks for scovy eggs. I do need some chicks too, not just ducklings so I'm hoping she will set on her own eggs.
I tried a tote last year no one like it so I put out a large dog crate, now that they liked. I guess it's just trying different things to see what works. looks like the dog crate is going to be a big hit this year too. Now to keep them from setting up house keeping in it.
roll.png

er.. dusty is being officially renamed 'Bulldog' holy smokes! i left my gloves in the duck barn, went back in, she's out eating..
smack.gif
she practically went for me, as i told her relax i am not touching the darn nest, which she had so carefully covered over of coarse.. whew, she was a hot head her first go last year but wth? it's on overdrive this time...

Yep, this is gonna be fun.
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom