Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

my duck now has 18 eggs when will she stop she can't cover them but i have to wait until she stops laying so i can get the extra eggs ... i think something attacked my hen because she has a bald circle patch and it looks like it was yanked out what could it be ??

Mine hasnt stopped laying either lol hopefully they will stop soon.
th.gif

Drat. I wouldn't ordinarily light the ducks at night, but I rearranged some things before winter set in that made it seems like a good idea to keep everyone in the chicken coop at night. I will have to get the new duck apartment put together soon.

Experienced duck-keepers, can you offer advice for encouraging natural brooding? My flock is only about a year old, and all WH. Also, loving the pictures of your ducks on their nests. i should take the tablet outside and show my girls. "See, all the cool ducks are doing it." (Too many eggs; not enough freezer meat.)

Mine just started nests like a duck takes to water! They all found their own spot on their own and then we had to search for the nests. I was surprised that the young hens got broody before my mama ducks. It was also interesting that they chose different materials to build their nests. I have one nest box that is actually a "cat house" made out of cedar and I had expected the ducks to lay eggs in it but they layed all over the yard instead. Whenever we collect the eggs they found better hiding places for them and that is how they managed to build up clutches to sit on. I was gathering eggs to incubate because I can't bring myself to eat eggs from rare endangered ducks but a lot of the first eggs were infertile so they were candled and thrown out after a week in the incubator.

I totally forgot this thread was here. :) I have a mallard momma sitting on about 15ish eggs (both duck and chicken). I dont know the exact date she started so dont know when to expect babies, well if any hatch. She comes off her nest most morning for not even 5 minutes to come eat, jump in the pool, and runn around freaking out lol. Then she goes back to her nest. Every now and again she'll come out in the afternoon for about 3 mintes to take a swim and again quack and freak out then go back. So far from what I can see her nest is pretty big and fluffy she insulated it nicely with TONS of feathers. :) Its pretty cool seeing her do her thing. I'm horrible at incubating so hopefully she'll have better luck then me.

I totally forgot this thread was here. :) I have a mallard momma sitting on about 15ish eggs (both duck and chicken). I dont know the exact date she started so dont know when to expect babies, well if any hatch. She comes off her nest most morning for not even 5 minutes to come eat, jump in the pool, and runn around freaking out lol. Then she goes back to her nest. Every now and again she'll come out in the afternoon for about 3 mintes to take a swim and again quack and freak out then go back. So far from what I can see her nest is pretty big and fluffy she insulated it nicely with TONS of feathers. :) Its pretty cool seeing her do her thing. I'm horrible at incubating so hopefully she'll have better luck then me.
Yay more ducks being broody, hope she has a great hatch and keep us updated. Mine aren't due till end of the month

Does she have swimming water? and do you have you seen your drake messing with her? mine are usually missing some head feathers but not back.
no she doesn't we are getting a little pool for them i have a black plastic pond thing i could maybe use ... the drakes don't go in with her they go near her only when i let her out to go forage and then she goes back on the nest but the drakes don't mess with her to much just the normal mating thing but the back feathers missing is in a circle shape near the end of her tail could it maybe a rat trying to get her eggs ??

New to the forum and found this thread. I have a Buff female and a Peking female that are/were laying early this year. They are housed with my two Emden geese. The goose's nest had 11 eggs. The brooding duty has been shared by my goose and my Peking. 8 of the eggs are fertile and should hatch this week or next. Is it normal for a Peking to become broody on a clutch that isn't hers?

I should have explained that my ducks are safe in my fenced backyard in town. I usually put them in the "safe pen" for the night or when I don't want them in the yard but once they had nests in the yard I have let them stay on them. I have two hens and a drake in the pen so I can seperate drakes and produce two lines in order to sell breeding pairs. I do have two hens using the nest box in the safe pen but they did not start using it until I locked up a trio so they could not use the yard.

Last edited:
Mine just started nests like a duck takes to water! They all found their own spot on their own and then we had to search for the nests. I was surprised that the young hens got broody before my mama ducks. It was also interesting that they chose different materials to build their nests. I have one nest box that is actually a "cat house" made out of cedar and I had expected the ducks to lay eggs in it but they layed all over the yard instead. Whenever we collect the eggs they found better hiding places for them and that is how they managed to build up clutches to sit on. I was gathering eggs to incubate because I can't bring myself to eat eggs from rare endangered ducks but a lot of the first eggs were infertile so they were candled and thrown out after a week in the incubator.
what kind of ducks do you have ??

Back
Top Bottom