Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

I have a chocolate runner that just went broody this morning. The drake is a mallard and the only other layer is a silver welch harlequin. The drake was scheduled for the dinner table. I've got two coops for the ducks, a "death" coop and the regular coop. Chocolate made her nest in the regular coop right next to the door so all the almost grown ducklings have to walk by in order to get out. The drake spends more time in the death coop because of his love for trying to mount the ducklings. He won't listen to reason. So, he was going to be dinner but I have been letting him out to make the ladies happy since they won't leave him alone in the death coop. But now I'm at a dilema. Do I move her nest? Do I move everyone else out? Do I put Ducky the overly happy drake in with the almost grown ducklings? Do I put everyone else in the smaller death coop and put Ducky in a dog kennel for a while? How long does it take a duck to hatch eggs anyways?? This is a new thing to me as we didn't have little ladies last year. Just the drakes. :(

I have a snowy call hen thinking about being broody. She has been adding more and more hay to her nest and plucking feathers and adding them. I'm excited and hoping she will go broody this weekend so i can collect a couple more eggs from the trio of snowys to put under her.

I hatched the only six fertile eggs from one duck's nest and took the infertile eggs so hopefully she will start laying again. I was afraid the crows would get the ducklings if I let her hatch them herself. The last one is in the incubator because I did not see movement so I opened the egg over the air cell and then broke through the membrane before the duckling started breathing and moving. I wrapped it in a wet napkin and put it back in the incubator but it is still in the shell. I just pulled its head out to see if the yolk was absorbed and it looks like it should be ready to push out of the shell but it is content to stay in the shell for now. I won't be surprised if it dies but it has made it over 24 hours from the time I cracked open the shell so maybe it will live. If I had not broke it open to see how far along it was before it quit, it would have died in the trash. I guess I should check all my eggs before throwing them away!

I had another hen on 8 eggs and I candled them today. None are fertile! I would think that even as a young hen she would know that she needs to get frisky with the drake before she lays her eggs and sits on the nest. I took them away so she can start laying again.

I checked the third nest and that hen had 10 eggs. She has 9 fertile eggs and only 1 infertile egg so I am going to let her hatch her own. Her nest is hidden well enough I think the crows will be challenged to find the ducklings before I can move them to the pen with her or take them inside to sell as hatchlings. I am tempted to put the eggs in the incubator but I don't want her to be discouraged when she is doing a good job so far.

I have a proven mother on a secure nest so I am letting her do her thing without interference. I will check her nest if she has unhatched eggs but I probably do not need to disturb her nest to candle her eggs. I know she is a good mama so I want her to raise her own ducklings. I can sell them when they are older and can be voice sexed.

I have had my proven drake penned with my two proven hens and I left the young hens with the young drake but now I am going to run the two drakes together again. I think I will have enough ducklings from seperate lines to sell as pairs when they are older. I might pull my young drake with two young hens into a breeding pen and leave the rest of the hens for the older drake to cover so I can hopefully increase my fertility and still have two seperate lines to pair but for now I need my older drake to show the younger drake how it is done!

I have a chocolate runner that just went broody this morning. The drake is a mallard and the only other layer is a silver welch harlequin. The drake was scheduled for the dinner table. I've got two coops for the ducks, a "death" coop and the regular coop. Chocolate made her nest in the regular coop right next to the door so all the almost grown ducklings have to walk by in order to get out. The drake spends more time in the death coop because of his love for trying to mount the ducklings. He won't listen to reason. So, he was going to be dinner but I have been letting him out to make the ladies happy since they won't leave him alone in the death coop. But now I'm at a dilema. Do I move her nest? Do I move everyone else out? Do I put Ducky the overly happy drake in with the almost grown ducklings? Do I put everyone else in the smaller death coop and put Ducky in a dog kennel for a while? How long does it take a duck to hatch eggs anyways?? This is a new thing to me as we didn't have little ladies last year. Just the drakes. :(
this is an answer to your how long do they take .. they take around 28 days to hatch their ducklings ... i have a broody duck she is on 20 eggs and she has been sitting on them for a little over a week

Originally Posted by Miss Lydia

Please come join us on this thread and congrats!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...read-for-ducks-2013-edition/610#post_11200107

I have two broody calls out of four girls! my magpie 'Smudge' hers are due about next Thursday she is sitting on 10 eggs all were fertile when candled at one week and I've not dared go near them since
roll.png
So am leaving her to it, My black 'Buttons' are due about a week later she also has 10 eggs and she is even crankier than Smudge. Smudge has nested outside in their pen which is luckily well fenced and covered with aviary bird netting so I've been forced to leave her out Button's has nested in their shed so she is easier but goes nut's every morning when I open the door for the other two and the Drake to come out
barnie.gif
My poor drake 'Donald' who has been bought up with Smudge took about a week to accept she was not going to accompany him anymore in duck land and moved onto being best mates with Buttons who went broody a week later
lau.gif
The poor fellow only had left my two chocolates Bambi and Thumper who are now reveling in his attentions instead of being ignored as usual
roll.png
he gets all excited when Smudge comes off at dusk every night for about 15 Min's and you can almost see him standing there rubbing his head wondering when she went nut's
lau.gif
as she does everything at super speeds then disappears again! I can't wait till next week to see how many hatch as I was not expecting this after reading how hard to hatch calls are I did not expect broody ducks! But will leave them to it and see what happens....... The best thing is I get more duckies (hopefully) as I was working on my other half letting me get more to no avail and as I keep pointing out it's not my fault
lau.gif
Luckily they are in a very big pen with a pond and waterfall and a new big shed which could fit about 50 call's easily I will keep you all posted and take lots of piccies.

Originally Posted by Miss Lydia

Please come join us on this thread and congrats!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...read-for-ducks-2013-edition/610#post_11200107

I have two broody calls out of four girls! my magpie 'Smudge' hers are due about next Thursday she is sitting on 10 eggs all were fertile when candled at one week and I've not dared go near them since
roll.png
So am leaving her to it, My black 'Buttons' are due about a week later she also has 10 eggs and she is even crankier than Smudge. Smudge has nested outside in their pen which is luckily well fenced and covered with aviary bird netting so I've been forced to leave her out Button's has nested in their shed so she is easier but goes nut's every morning when I open the door for the other two and the Drake to come out
barnie.gif
My poor drake 'Donald' who has been bought up with Smudge took about a week to accept she was not going to accompany him anymore in duck land and moved onto being best mates with Buttons who went broody a week later
lau.gif
The poor fellow only had left my two chocolates Bambi and Thumper who are now reveling in his attentions instead of being ignored as usual
roll.png
he gets all excited when Smudge comes off at dusk every night for about 15 Min's and you can almost see him standing there rubbing his head wondering when she went nut's
lau.gif
as she does everything at super speeds then disappears again! I can't wait till next week to see how many hatch as I was not expecting this after reading how hard to hatch calls are I did not expect broody ducks! But will leave them to it and see what happens....... The best thing is I get more duckies (hopefully) as I was working on my other half letting me get more to no avail and as I keep pointing out it's not my fault
lau.gif
Luckily they are in a very big pen with a pond and waterfall and a new big shed which could fit about 50 call's easily I will keep you all posted and take lots of piccies.
Happy to see ya hear, it's nice when we can all be together waiting for the big day.. and when one hatches keeps us going waiting for our hatch, and yes broody ducks best way in the world to get more and blaming someone else for it.
wink.png

Happy to see ya hear, it's nice when we can all be together waiting for the big day.. and when one hatches keeps us going waiting for our hatch, and yes broody ducks best way in the world to get more and blaming someone else for it.
wink.png
Thanks Miss Lyndia I have just been out in the duck pen fixing up some smaller netting on the back fence and had to intervene between the two broodies
roll.png
All was well until Buttons came out of the shed and proceded straight down to Smudges nest where there is a food bowl just put out for Smudge as she has no access to the shed at night where the big feeder is (next to Buttons nest) why she thinks this food is better I don't know, But Smudge took this badly and came off her nest shouting and pecking her this went on for twenty mins both shouting at each other from other ends of the pond and neither would go past the other to get back to their nests
he.gif
In the end I intercepted Smudge and put her near her nest again to which she gladly jumped in Buttons took one last look and turned round and walked into the shed!
barnie.gif
They have both truly gone nuts....

Thanks Miss Lyndia I have just been out in the duck pen fixing up some smaller netting on the back fence and had to intervene between the two broodies
roll.png
All was well until Buttons came out of the shed and proceded straight down to Smudges nest where there is a food bowl just put out for Smudge as she has no access to the shed at night where the big feeder is (next to Buttons nest) why she thinks this food is better I don't know, But Smudge took this badly and came off her nest shouting and pecking her this went on for twenty mins both shouting at each other from other ends of the pond and neither would go past the other to get back to their nests
he.gif
In the end I intercepted Smudge and put her near her nest again to which she gladly jumped in Buttons took one last look and turned round and walked into the shed!
barnie.gif
They have both truly gone nuts....
My broodys have lost their minds!! They have begun to hiss at me!! Well, the #2 has anyway. She is in the hen box trying to 'help' Ms. Broody out and when I went in there yesterday to get a count she hissed at me!
tongue.gif
I was like girl please! Don't you dare hiss at the hand that feeds you!!!
lau.gif

These ducks I swear.....we have been sitting now for over 10 days and I am dying to get in there and candle! I just can't get enough of them. Funny story.....Ms. Broody came out yesterday for a quick drink and bite to eat. She comes out screaming...it is so funny to see the others just look at her like geez woman! Is it THAT bad?? Anyways....my Mister tries to mount her when she comes out and she really lets him have it
rant.gif
to keep him away from her. Well, he grabbed one of the other girls...covered her and when she came out from under him she was quacking away and screaming...over to the pond she went and while still quacking she took a drink of water.
lau.gif
lau.gif
First time I have ever heard that before!!! OMG!! I laughed so hard but not as hard as my neighbors who were out watering their trees and watching me watch my ducks. LOL!!! I swear.....that was the funniest thing I have ever in my life seen in my backyard.

Good stuff. Now, when do my babies come??
pop.gif

My broodys have lost their minds!! They have begun to hiss at me!! Well, the #2 has anyway. She is in the hen box trying to 'help' Ms. Broody out and when I went in there yesterday to get a count she hissed at me!
tongue.gif
I was like girl please! Don't you dare hiss at the hand that feeds you!!!
lau.gif

These ducks I swear.....we have been sitting now for over 10 days and I am dying to get in there and candle! I just can't get enough of them. Funny story.....Ms. Broody came out yesterday for a quick drink and bite to eat. She comes out screaming...it is so funny to see the others just look at her like geez woman! Is it THAT bad?? Anyways....my Mister tries to mount her when she comes out and she really lets him have it
rant.gif
to keep him away from her. Well, he grabbed one of the other girls...covered her and when she came out from under him she was quacking away and screaming...over to the pond she went and while still quacking she took a drink of water.
lau.gif
lau.gif
First time I have ever heard that before!!! OMG!! I laughed so hard but not as hard as my neighbors who were out watering their trees and watching me watch my ducks. LOL!!! I swear.....that was the funniest thing I have ever in my life seen in my backyard.

Good stuff. Now, when do my babies come??
pop.gif

I have to carry my broody off the nest. She wont let anyone touch her but me
barnie.gif
. We are a week in & going strong 4 more weeks to go
ep.gif
lau.gif

Hi everyone sure missed ya'll today but had to go to the big city with my dh, oh the traffic
hide.gif
so happy to be home,
frow.gif
just wanted to say howdy and I'll talk to everyone tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom