Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

I think I'll just leave them, Ms. Lydia. Thanks for answering me! :) I'm SO EXCITED!
fl.gif

Skiier - you might want to get some high protien crumbles, startina or game bird like for turkeys and such for the babies. Some will improvise a youngster feeding station where the little ones can get in but not the adults, or not. If they are somewhat seperated, mama could likely use a boost after being glued to a nest for so long herself. Be wary of deep water containers, don't want the babies getting in and not able to hop out.

As for the "leftover" eggs... sometimes others will add to the nest after mama has started brooding and you may have a staggered hatch. The first few eggs laid may not be fertile, some may not develop for what ever reason. If they haven't hatched with her leaving the nest for extended periods - she may well be done. If they haven't hatched within 2 days I'd suggest tossing them, cleaning and sanitizing her nest and putting in fresh bedding. Hatch juice can grow bacteria and if rotten eggs explode....yucky! If it makes you feel better before pitching - can candle. Myself I just do it and go on. Nature has it's ways that can seems cruel to the tender hearted.

Meanwhile - you have babies!!!!!

Taking pictures of the babies for us if you're kind.........
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
Ok so this mornings count is........ 9 out of 10 eggs hatched and running around!
wee.gif
I was witness to their 1st family outing this morning really funny watching them pile after mum and even swimming on the pond with her, Dad and the other two are keeping their distance after some warnings from mum
ep.gif
The funniest bit was watching them all go over to where the other three were foraging in the grass which was fine until mum decided to go back to the pond as the babies piled down the hill the three adults inc dad ran for their lives I think they thought they were gonna get stampeded
lau.gif
The little dears are being taken out by mum for about 10 Min's at a time and then back to the nest for food and snuggling they then emerge about 2 hours later and do it all again
big_smile.png
I have been totally ducked today and just downloaded the pics to find I'd taken 138
ep.gif
good job we're on digital now or this would cost a fortune, Here is a couple of the best.......

This is mum and dad and all the gang

You should name that last chick looking off in the other direction...
wrong-way-wanda!
lau.gif

Too precious! And congrats on a GREAT hatch! Good for mama keeping her brood safe from the other's too. Some are just better at it than others. I've got to keep mine protected for a while - too many hunter farm cats quick to snatch them.

You should name that last chick looking off in the other direction...
wrong-way-wanda!
lau.gif

Too precious! And congrats on a GREAT hatch! Good for mama keeping her brood safe from the others too. Some are just better at it than others. I've got to keep mine protected for a while - too many hunter farm cats quick to snatch them.
Brilliant
lau.gif
That little one thinks dad is great they were on the pond and dad left so he followed as quick as could be, it took a few minutes of dad looking bemused and duckling wondering where everyone else was before panic set in and he realized wrong duck
ep.gif
Never seen a duckling walk on water before to get back to mum
lau.gif

I'm Lucky to have them in a big pen well fenced above and below ground so no worries about them, I'm just leaving it to mum she seems to be doing a great job esp as it's her 1st time! Just waiting on my other broody black call now she is due to hatch next week! There will be ducklings everywhere
wee.gif

A coon ripped 2 of our silkies out of the duck coop this morning. I just got back from coon proofing both coops. The mosquitos are out thick Mr muscovy is about to get fired for not depleting the mosquito population.

Mama ducks doing ok im a lil worried shes not eating much but then again shes not active. I havent checked the eggs shes bit me twice today.
OH NO!! I am so sorry! We don't have raccoons and I just know I would freak out if something happened like that to one of our duck family! You poor thing! Thank God moma is okay

Our momma's arent eating much either. Does that mean it's getting close?

Brilliant
lau.gif
That little one thinks dad is great they were on the pond and dad left so he followed as quick as could be, it took a few minutes of dad looking bemused and duckling wondering where everyone else was before panic set in and he realized wrong duck
ep.gif
Never seen a duckling walk on water before to get back to mum
lau.gif

I'm Lucky to have them in a big pen well fenced above and below ground so no worries about them, I'm just leaving it to mum she seems to be doing a great job esp as it's her 1st time! Just waiting on my other broody black call now she is due to hatch next week! There will be ducklings everywhere
wee.gif

Congrats!! I had a few draklings follow their dad around when they were a few days old, to now. They sound like lil peaches. I'm happy for ya.

I have more due in a week or so as well.

Back
Top Bottom