Old fashioned Broody Thread for Ducks

Pics

Dose anyone know what breed these littel guys are

i have a broody duck sharing a nest with another duck. i also have another female and 2 males should i seperate the broodys or let them stay with the other ducks. these ducks are under a year old.

i have a broody duck sharing a nest with another duck. i also have another female and 2 males should i seperate the broodys or let them stay with the other ducks. these ducks are under a year old.
If the other ducks are leaving the 2 broody's alone I'd say it isn't necessary until you get close to hatch day then you'll want to give moms and ducklings their own space for a while where everyone can still see each other but mamas and babies are safe. I usually keep mine in a separate run with their own house for 3 weeks. This gives the mamas and duckling alot of time to bond and gives the rest of the flock time to get use to the newbies. Drakes and ducks can be unfriendly to new ducklings.

I know this thread is old, but im just wondering if there are some people still subscribed to it who are willing to answer a few questions i have about broody ducks.

I have my first ever broody mama duck :) we couldnt find her the other day and thought maybe a predator got her. But with a little searching, we found her behind the pool. We had it blocked off, but she got past the wood and brick barrier and dragged straw all the way back there. She started sitting yesterday and wouldnt come off the nest. Eeeeeeeeeeep!

So what do i do with a broody duck? I know what not to do, and thats bother her. She will be left completely alone. But do i need to provide food for her back there? Its a pretty tight fit. Will she get off and eat at least once a day? I put some more straw on the bricks and she used all of it to build up her nest. Do you think she needs more? What about the egg she kicked out? Im guessing that needs removed? Its starting to get kinda hot here, so i dont want it to explode...

I appreciate any help :)

@PotatoWaffles here are a few things we learned this year by watching our first broody Muscovy duck:
She didn't commit right away. It was at least week, if not more, before she sat continually. Once she did though, she was a real trooper and saw it through till the end. Because we couldn't watch her non-stop I can only guess what her schedule was really like be we did see her come off the nest once or twice per day. She'd eat, she'd get a swim / bath, forage a bit and then go back and resume her duty. Every time she left the nest she'd cover all of them with straw and feathers from the top edges of her nest. There were a few times I was worried that she'd given up but eventually she'd disappear back onto the nest. If your duck was able to get back to build the nest, she'll be able to make it out for a swim and food. Any harm in making it a bit easier for her? It looks fairly safe and secure, but that's a guess on my part. At the end of it, she hatched five healthy baby Muscovies and we successfully hatched one in the incubator. They must know the secret handshake... we need the decoder ring I think.

Back
Top Bottom