Old FLock Meet New Flock Meet New Home

milezone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
SW Kentucky
Ok I am at a spot where I am lost as to what to do.......

Last year we purchased our first little Buff Orph. We have 10 hens and 1 Rooster. They were our only until Nov. when we decided to hatch out a few to "learn the ropes". Hatched 12 and only kept 1 rooster and 3 hens.

Now the problem is the rooster and 3 hens will not go into coop, they totally refuse. I think due to the original birds giving them a hard time. They are about 4 months old now, and roost right next to coop. They all seem to get along fine, but these 4 will fight and kick if I put them in there, even a few nights boarded them in so they could not get out. BTW I free roam the birds all day, and at night lock them up in a coop and run.

Ok next phase of my long question. I am building a 24 x 30 barn to use for our farm friends (2 mini pigs, 2 goats, and chickens). I have ordered 25 White Orph. from McMurray as well as 25 "Rarest of the Rare". So not only will I be adding 50 new birds to the flock, but will also be moving the original 10 buddies to thier new home about 100 yards further in the back field.

How will I introduce the birds in thier new coop (in the barn) and also the new birds so they all will live in harmony? I almost was thinking of doing 3 seperate coops inside the barn with 3 seperate entrances. 1 for my original flock, 1 for the 25 White Orp's, and 1 for the 25 "Rarest of the Rare" I would create inclosed rooms of sorts for each flock, maybe a 8' x 8' area?

What are your suggestions? Our new chicks are arriving late April, about the time we will finish up on the barn. Thanks for the long read and the help......

Russ

Multiple coops and runs are always a good idea as they give greater flexibility in the management of your flock.

How do I get my original flock to stay in the new coop? Seems like they might try and come back to the old coop area (which I am keeping for raising new little ones next year). Now there is a 4' fence keeping them from doing that, but how does one make them understand that the new barn coop will be their new home? Thanks

Russ

Given the chance, they very well may try to return to their old coop. Initially keep them locked in their new coop until they start to feel at home there. That coupled with the 4 ' fence should make the transition smoother. Chickens do hate change.

Back
Top Bottom