Old girl in trouble

Cool! I don't have miconazole and I have company coming so I can't run to town yet. but I started the molasses. She won't swallow the molasses water at all after about 2ml,I rubbed her throat,held her head up and she just won't swallow! So since she is drinking I put the molasses in yogurt and that she will swallow. Alternating it with plain water.Letting her take a break after about half of the mix. Hope that works. The old girl still has spunk and is fighting everything. Poop was alittle more solid but not by much. Green,brown and white,still very stinky but not the yucky yellow she had. Off to give her more molasses. Thanks!

Hi everyone. Sadly Girly is not doing well tonight. She won't drink any more and her face is turning yellow looking. Her eyelids or very yellow. I think she might have some liver or kidney problems. We had a beautiful day here today so I took her outside for awhile to be with her flock. I had hoped it would perk her up,but she did seem to enjoy the sun. Hawkie,my old rooster that is around 12 or 13 yrs, sat talking with her for a time.
I tried to give her water and meds but she just goes limp and I'm afraid she will choke if I keep trying. I am just going to keep her comfortable for the night and see what tomorrow brings.

Hi everyone. Sadly Girly is not doing well tonight. She won't drink any more and her face is turning yellow looking. Her eyelids or very yellow. I think she might have some liver or kidney problems. We had a beautiful day here today so I took her outside for awhile to be with her flock. I had hoped it would perk her up,but she did seem to enjoy the sun. Hawkie,my old rooster that is around 12 or 13 yrs, sat talking with her for a time.
I tried to give her water and meds but she just goes limp and I'm afraid she will choke if I keep trying. I am just going to keep her comfortable for the night and see what tomorrow brings.
:hugs I'm so sorry.

Sadly Girly passed overnight.:hit I did open her to see if I could find out what caused this. I found a lash egg covered in broken bits of shell. It was about 3 inches long. She also had a lot of fat. We have processed roos before but I have never seen this much fat. About 1 inch thick and covered everything up to her liver. I'm I over feeding? Liver looked good and so did her heart. I will read up on lash eggs and the cause,to keep the other girls healthy. Thank you all for your help and support, it means a great deal to me.:hugsBYC is the best!

Sadly Girly passed overnight.:hit I did open her to see if I could find out what caused this. I found a lash egg covered in broken bits of shell. It was about 3 inches long. She also had a lot of fat. We have processed roos before but I have never seen this much fat. About 1 inch thick and covered everything up to her liver. I'm I over feeding? Liver looked good and so did her heart. I will read up on lash eggs and the cause,to keep the other girls healthy. Thank you all for your help and support, it means a great deal to me.:hugsBYC is the best!
I'm sorry to hear about Girly :hugs

It's good that you were able to open her up and find the cause.
Was the Lash Egg inside the oviduct or inside the abdomen? Interesting that the lash egg was covered with broken shell. (this is why I wonder where it was located). There are other conditions besides Salpingitis that can cause pus/coagulated egg. Internal Laying is when a whole egg may be laid by reverse peristalsis - the whole egg is actually deposited into the abdomen and then there is no place to go - some folks have found whole eggs inside the abdominal cavity (the egg would eventually have a cooked appearance inside). Anyway...it doesn't really matter - sometimes I'm too curious.
Excess fat in the abdomen (I personally believe) can be a genetic factor - some hens eat a little more and are less active. Other causes of excessive fat would be too many "treats" like corn, scratch, etc. I try very hard to limit the amount of scratch that I give, but I do have a few hens that likely get more than their "share".

fwiw - it's very sad when you lose a favorite, but your investigating further, I hope gives a small measure of comfort knowing you did all you could for her and that she had a condition that you would not have been able to bring her back from.

Do you remember if Girly ever had symptoms of respiratory illness (or her flock mates)?
You may find the links below helpful - 2 are about Salpingitis (Lash Egg) and 1 is about fat hens.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/https://the-chicken-chick.com/chickens-obesity-silent-killer-how-to/

The lash egg was in her oviduct. I thought the shell part was weird,too. I have not heard of a lash egg having a shell before. No,I haven't seen any signs of respiratory problems in any of them. I did loose her sister,Hateful, last spring to Ascetis. Not good genetics,I guess. Girly was the last of 13 hens I hatched. Most of them went to my stepson and he lost almost all to predators. I still have 2 of their daughters. I noticed today that one looks like Girly and one looks just like Hateful.:rolleyes:

I am very glad I checked to see the problem,I know I couldn't save her. But she was as comfortable as I could get her. Now I know to watch for fat hens!

Thanks again for all the help and the links. Going to check them out now.

Back
Top Bottom