Old hen has issues

Fishsticks06

Songster
5 Years
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
I have a red sex link hen who I’ve had for a little over 3 years. I’ve noticed she’s been reclusive and slown down in her movements. Recently, she’s lost a lot of weight and has wet poop. She lost all strength to walk, and just sits. She’ll doze off while she’s sitting and her comb is floppy. What should I do? She’s already in quarantine.

Not much information to go on, but I'm going to assume that's all the symptoms she has. I would treat her with an oral antibiotic. Ask at Tractor Supply about amoxicillin. They may carry the 500mg Fish mox. Break the capsule open and divide the contents in half. Use a tiny piece of bread dipped in olive oil to sop up the amoxy powder and pry open the beak and stuff it inside.

Do this 250mg dose once a day for ten days. In addition, since her ability to stand and walk is affected, give her one B-complex tablet each day. Just pry the beak open and shove the pill inside.

Not much information to go on, but I'm going to assume that's all the symptoms she has. I would treat her with an oral antibiotic. Ask at Tractor Supply about amoxicillin. They may carry the 500mg Fish mox. Break the capsule open and divide the contents in half. Use a tiny piece of bread dipped in olive oil to sop up the amoxy powder and pry open the beak and stuff it inside.

Do this 250mg dose once a day for ten days. In addition, since her ability to stand and walk is affected, give her one B-complex tablet each day. Just pry the beak open and shove the pill inside.
Thanks for the advice. Sadly, she died this morning in my arms. She had multiple seizures in a short span of time as well as foaming from the mouth. Any thoughts?

Call here for information on how to get a necropsy on this hen. Mean while, refrigerate, don't freeze, her body. Why she died is something you need to know because it could be something that affects all the chickens.
Director of Laboratories
Rollins Laboratory
4400 Reedy Creek Rd
Raleigh, NC 27607
919-733-3986

Back
Top Bottom