Old hen labored breathing and bubbly eyes (MG?), but I just bought new chicks!

Sylver Queen

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2014
California
Hi there everyone. Well, after spending hours looking over similar posts I decided to post one of my own, simply to get the current wisdom for dosage of medications and advice for my particular situation. I have a beautiful 10-year-old Ameraucana hen who has been so healthy, but I noticed the last few weeks that when I pick her up she starts to pant, even in cool / cold weather. I thought maybe she was just getting old, and now I feel sick that I didn't recognize her symptoms sooner. I have 6-day-old baby chicks that I'm brooding in the house, but today I noticed that my hen has bubbles coming out of her eyes. Quick research suggests myoplasma gallisepticum, and I suspect that being how contagious it is my chicks have already been exposed.

I also have a 3-year-old layer and four 1-year-old layers of different breeds who are all fine, zero symptoms so far, but I am sick at the realization that I neglected to keep a closed flock. I bought the 1-year-olds as 8-week-old pullets last year, and I suspect that if they were asymptomatic carriers I may have done my old birds in. đź’” Never again.

The affected hen is still eating plenty, she's a good solid weight, no swelling anywhere in her abdomen, she laid last spring but hasn't started laying yet this year, which I imagine is not unusual for 10 years old! She's doing all her normal things, but still struggling to breathe, even while resting now, and even though I only noticed the eye bubbles today, I noticed her eyes looked watery and probably just missed seeing the bubbles a few days ago. I have old (expired) Tylan 50 and tetracycline hydrochloride on hand, but I'm going by Tractor Supply tomorrow to see what I can scavenge. I've got 22-gauge needles on order, but I've read quite a bit that you can give Tylan 50 orally if need be. So my question is...

Current conventional wisdom on Tylan 50 injectable given orally, dosage for adult hens? And what to do about my baby chicks?? Thankfully have a secondary pen I can keep them in when they move outside to keep them completely separate from the big birds, and I can disinfect and wash hands, shoes, etc. But if they've already been exposed and start to go down, what should I give them? Everyone is already on herbs, ACV, and strategic garlic, so hopefully their immune systems are revved up. (And does anyone have a thought on what else could be wrong with my oldie with these MG symptoms? I'm going to call a vet tomorrow and see if they do blood work that won't break the bank.) I know pics tend to help, but unfortunately the only one I took of her today was of all the hens being cute, rather than documenting symptoms. First pic is two weeks ago, second fuzzy pic is of today. Can't see the eye bubbles, but they're definitely happening. Thanks!
PXL_20210204_174912261~2.jpg
PXL_20210223_014003956~2.jpg

Your hen may well have symptoms of MG, but testing or putting her down for a necropsy by your state vet would be the only way to confirm the diagnosis. The baby chicks may eventually get exposed to the disease in the future, since survivors are carriers for life. The other chickens who have been around her may have been exposed and can carry the disease, only one day showing symptoms during a time of stress. Tylan can be given orally 3 times a day, but although it can treat symptoms, the disease is never cured.

Your hen may well have symptoms of MG, but testing or putting her down for a necropsy by your state vet would be the only way to confirm the diagnosis. The baby chicks may eventually get exposed to the disease in the future, since survivors are carriers for life. The other chickens who have been around her may have been exposed and can carry the disease, only one day showing symptoms during a time of stress. Tylan can be given orally 3 times a day, but although it can treat symptoms, the disease is never cured.
Thank you. I've read conflicting reports about the dosage for Tylan 50 given orally, ranging from .5 CC per bird, to 1.5 CCs. Most of them say .2 mL for every pound, is this what you would suggest? Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom