Old hen still laying

Roostie

Chirping
May 1, 2019
Northern lower Michigan
Hey!
I have a 13 year old ameraucana that still lays eggs. Whenever she's in the nesting box and is about to lay one she starts to yell at me( that's what I call it anyway cause I'm pretty sure that's what she's doing)and once in a while she will have an egg with a soft shell. She has been laying eggs for a very long time but now it seems like it's painful to her should I be worried??? is there a way to make a hen not lay eggs???

Hey!
I have a 13 year old ameraucana that still lays eggs. Whenever she's in the nesting box and is about to lay one she starts to yell at me( that's what I call it anyway cause I'm pretty sure that's what she's doing)and once in a while she will have an egg with a soft shell. She has been laying eggs for a very long time but now it seems like it's painful to her should I be worried??? is there a way to make a hen not lay eggs???
I think you can take her to an aviary vet and they can implant something in her to make her stop laying.

13 years old!!!! Do you have a pic of her?
You have surely done a lot to help her along so far! Good luck!

IMG_1085.JPG
13 years old!!!! Do you have a pic of her?
You have surely done a lot to help her along so far! Good luck!
She is very spry considering her age. Last year I thought she was dead from a hawk attack but when I picked her up she lifted her own head (I cried) and she had a giant slit in her side!! I could go on and on with times she has almost died lol

She's lovely!
My 7 hens often yell when they are laying or right after.....there may be nothing at all wrong w her.

View attachment 1792209
She is very spry considering her age. Last year I thought she was dead from a hawk attack but when I picked her up she lifted her own head (I cried) and she had a giant slit in her side!! I could go on and on with times she has almost died lol
Lol the last few sentences I unintentionally rhymed!!
Sorry I get amused very easily

Probably an Easter Egger...but still...13 years old?!?!
Did you raise her from a day old chick?

Have you taken a good look at her vent for any abnormalities?

Back
Top Bottom