Old hen

Oct 26, 2020
I recently adopted a hen who is 7 years old. Hatched May 2013.

She is a Welsummer.

She is healthy but,

she has lightly swollen legs and,

none of her feathers under her butt or belly are preened because she can´t reach there anymore.

Also she has dry comb, waddles, and feet and lots of feather dandruff. I applied VetRX to the comb, waddles, and feet.

She is not heavy and she is slightly light.

She does not scratch a lot because of her legs.

Also her eyes are a little droopy. Age?

Any tips for old hens? I can also answer any questions about her.

Thank you!

Well, she is old. VERY old. Probably not going to last much longer. Good food, high protein and protection from the other birds. I would think she would be a difficult bird to add to a vigorous flock, and she might bring in disease.

Why did you take her?
She is old. She eats the best organic grower feed. My young flock is being EGG~cepting. One of my Easter Eggers and her are eating together, and the Seramas are fine with her. I am using the see but no touch method to introduce her. She is healthy.

A friend has had her and another chicken for a long time. One hen died last April and the hen has lived alone in a small space by herself since. The friend is also going to another country and wanted the hen to have a flock. I also love helping older hens.

My 6-7 year old hen also has droopy eyelids, I think it is natural for aging chickens like wrinkles are for humans. One recent discovery by me is that Dana (my old hen) craves extra protein, so I have been giving her as much dry cat food as she wants every day (after she eats her meal). Other than that, I have no more advice except to read this article: How to Handle the Ageing Process of Chickens

Good luck and have a great day!

My 6-7 year old hen also has droopy eyelids, I think it is natural for aging chickens like wrinkles are for humans. One recent discovery by me is that Dana (my old hen) craves extra protein, so I have been giving her as much dry cat food as she wants every day (after she eats her meal). Other than that, I have no more advice except to read this article: How to Handle the Ageing Process of Chickens

Good luck and have a great day!

Thank you! She eats mealworms and scratch for EGG~stra protein also. I will read the article also.

Good for you for giving her a home. I've taken in two of these types, myself over the years. But seven isn't really old. I have two eight-year old Welsummers still laying regularly, although they're on winter break currently.

With good care and a little pampering, hens can live twice that long. I have a twelve-year old Brahma that's showing no signs of quitting living the good life, though she hasn't laid in six years. Another hen, an eleven-year old Wyandotte laid a perfect egg last spring. I have a ten-year old Wyandotten hen currently raising three pullets.

Back
Top Bottom