Old hens and new chicks

dskowron

Chirping
May 5, 2019
Cedar City Utah
We have two older (3 yrs) hens left over from our last flock - they haven't laid eggs in well over three months - probably more like 4 or 5. We are brooding 6 new hens now and they will be ready for the great outdoors in about two weeks. My dilemma is that I think the older hens will terrorize and bully the new chicks and I don't want that for obvious reasons. So is there a way to integrate the two old ones with the 6 new ones? I have read about integrating younger chicks into an older flock but never the opposite. I don't want to cull the older ones but if I have to I will.

Last edited:
So is there a way to integrate the two old ones with the 6 new ones? I have read about integrating younger chicks into an older flock but never the opposite. I don't want to cull the older ones but if I have to I will.
Yes, they can be integrated.

Having few old hens, and more young chicks, will probably make it easier.

I've seen some threads where people are integrating a big batch of new chicks with a single old hen. Depending on the temperament of the individual hen, sometimes a situation like that goes really smoothly, and sometimes not so much.

Nevermind! I found other threads like this. I can't delete this post so . . .
It's OK to have a new thread too.

But if you do want it deleted, you can follow the suggestion @aart gave, and "report" the post. You'll get a popup box where you can type an explanation.

These two old hens have both been at the top of the pecking order of their old flock at one time or another. I've seen both be fairly brutal to lower hens so I don't want that to happen here. I'm more leaning toward culling at this point.

Thank you for the advice. :)

These two old hens have both been at the top of the pecking order of their old flock at one time or another. I've seen both be fairly brutal to lower hens so I don't want that to happen here. I'm more leaning toward culling at this point.

Thank you for the advice. :)

Had you found this article yet?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
You could try something like that.

I do agree that culling the old hens is an effective way to avoid integration problems.

That article is great and I wish I had planned for a coop brooder when I built my coop. It is not large enough at all - only 4x8 feet of floor space.

Our new hens are about 5 weeks now and almost ready to go out into the world. They'll have a huge run - about 4000 square feet or so and it includes a stand of junipers and a nice blue spruce for them to sit under. It will be chicken heaven!

That article is great and I wish I had planned for a coop brooder when I built my coop. It is not large enough at all - only 4x8 feet of floor space.

With only 2 old hens and 6 new chicks, you may be able to divide that size coop in half with a piece of wire mesh, and then make chick-sized popdoors in the divider. (And then remove the divider after they are getting along well.)

Of course, a lot depends on how your coop is set up inside. In some coops it is easy to divide off one end, while in some other coops it is impossible.

Unfortunately in our coop that would not be a possible configuration. The two ends serve critical functions - one is food and water and the other is the roosting. It's probably going to have to be .22lr time soon.

Unfortunately in our coop that would not be a possible configuration. The two ends serve critical functions - one is food and water and the other is the roosting. It's probably going to have to be .22lr time soon.

You might be able to do a temporary food/water station if you divide it, but I agree that culling the old hens would probably be easier than any kind of integration setup in your case.

Back
Top Bottom