Old Hens Lay Darker Eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by duckmeister, Jan 25, 2017.

1. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    [​IMG]

Help! Ordered 5 White Bresse eggs off e-bay and received 3 creamy white eggs and 1 brown egg and 2 very dark brown eggs.

To my knowledge white Bresse eggs are always creamy white from pure bred stock.

I questiined the seller and seller insists the hens lay darker eggs as they get older, the brown eggs are purebred Bresse but from old hens.

I'd like some feedback please, before leaving any negative feedback on the transaction, because I find the old hens who used to lay creamy white eggs now lay dark brown eggs story very hard to believe. But I'll keep an open mind.
    Thanks.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Sorry, but hens' egg colors don't change that dramatically, ever. It's in the genetics. You were taken advantage of.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If anything, eggs lighten up over the life of the hen.

when a hen first starts laying, they're basically as dark as they're going to get. Some stay the same, some lighten a bit over that first laying cycle. Then, after they molt and recharge, they may be a shade or so darker than they were at the end of the last cycle, but not darker than when they first began laying. That cycle repeats each year, maybe losing a shade or so each year. Probably not too noticeable in most regular brown eggers, but in darker breeds like Marans you can usually tell.

I think you got took, sorry.

4. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    I hate to leave negative comment on an e-bay purchase, hard to believe the seller would think me so naive to not notice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by