Old Hens...New Chicks

TheJerzyHen

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 23, 2014
hello everyone :) I have two old hens, about 4 1/2 yrs old. A Barred Rock and Black Australorp... friendly and sweet. I got 12 new chicks at TSC in the brooder indoors. We are building a big new coop since this flock is much larger than my old one. In your experience, should I add the babies in the new coop first to get adjusted, then introduce Laverne and Shirley to coop and chicks or vice versa? Best ways to introduce?? Any help will be appreciated! Have I told you I love my girls??❤️ Thanks ~~Dawn

I am wondering the same thing as to "IF" I should add... I have an old gal (standard she is my ID) from 2012 which was the meanest of the bunch of 4...the others passed on last year, I have 2 Ameracauna babies 1 month old, and wish to add grown Bantam that have laid eggs at the hatchery in June. I just am not sure how to do this with 3 standards chickens at that point OR if it is even a good idea to add Bantams to them. I have a beautiful coop that can be divided in two parts and they will all have free run of the yard. Any feedback is welcome.

To the original poster, I would add the chicks to the new set up first...but only for a couple of days. Set up hide outs in the set up, and occasionally chase the little ones around a bit till they figure them out. Then add the older birds rather late in the day. The older hens will probably peck the babies occasionally, but really with 12 babies, they would be wore out pecking them all. The young ones will quickly learn where out of reach is. They will act as a sub flock until they begin to lay.

Thanks for the input...they will be about 9 weeks old when I add them since it’s quite cold here yet. I read the wire cage technique also but I kind of agree with 12 new ones it will be less pecking at one... wish me luck!

Good luck!!

I'm going to be adding a half-dozen to an established flock of eight in May sometime. I'll be interested to see how it goes for you.

Back
Top Bottom