Old hens will not accept new hens to the flock

chazz

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
got my two hens 7 months ago and decided to get 2 more this week.
my old hens will not accept the new ones and are attacking them and won't let them eat.
Any idea what to do???

Are the new ones around the same size? If so you should take the old ones out of the coop or area for a few days and then put them back...it usually calms down the fighting sense chickens are territorial.....they will still fight after sense chickens do have a pecking order but it will be settle faster.

Is there any way to divide the coop temporarily? I am introducing new hens also, but I have them in a separate, but adjoining area. They are fighting through the chicken wire, but no one gets hurt (and everyone can eat).

I usually leave this arrangement for a month or more before I combine them. There will still be pecking, but not usually anything serious.
good luck with them.

I feel for you chazz, I'm going through the same thing as well. I just introduced two hens to my 5 month olds(Bard Rock and RR) and they just won't leave the one alone. I increased food and water, but it's only been 2 days now, so I'm hoping this pecking order is figured out soon. What's funny is that they don't even mess with the one bird (faverolle), it's just the poor leghorn who gets all the attention. very sad to see them attacking her
hit.gif

Last edited:
Try re-arranging roosts, feeders, waters and if need be add some other structures. Making location appear different will enable restructuring of pecking order that will be less onesided against the introduced birds.

Back
Top Bottom