Old horse shelter into coop

royc

Hatching
Mar 3, 2021
I have an old shed that I would like to keep chickens in. I think it once housed a horse judging by the old manure, I've attached some photos below. I am new to keeping chickens and am learning a lot. It looks pretty rough but it stays dry inside, is cool in the heat and "warm" in the cold. I would wrap the interior with chicken wire. Do I need to build a ceiling or a floor? I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to convert this into a safe and happy place for some hens and a rooster.

Primarily I hope the chickens help control ticks. The eggs and educating my children would be a bonus. I live in South-East Ontario and there are certainly many predators.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Welcome to BYC. Many people are going to be jealous of what an excellent building you have for conversion -- spacious, sturdy, and well-ventilated!

Use hardware cloth rather than chicken wire to cover those open soffits but don't put in a ceiling or close them up because that's some of the best ventilation you can get. It's counterintuitive, but ventilation is just as critical in a cold climate as in a hot one because it keeps chickens dry. Most chickens tolerate dry cold well, but cold plus moister = frostbite.

A floor is not necessary -- many chickens are housed comfortably on a dirt floor throughout the world. But do add an anti-dig apron outside the coop to keep the chickens safe.

That will make an excellent chicken coop. Cover the gap above the header. I had a bobcat squeeze through such an opening and wipe out most of my first flock. If you can, add a window or two. South facing will capture the winter sun and most chickens enjoy sitting in front of it catching a few days.

What a great opportunity. It stays dry, that's a huge bonus.

Like they said, don't block anything in but keep it open up high for ventilation, summer and winter. Cover any opening bigger than 1" (25 mm) with hardware cloth to keep out predators. Add a roost, some nests, and a pop door. A pop door is a small opening close to the ground for the chickens to go in and out that you can close against predators at night. I suggest something like 12" x 12" (30 cm c 30 cm). A small door like that does not let in the weather a human door would.

How much light does that open soffit let in? Can you see your way around in there on a cloudy day with the door closed? You probably need a window for light. I don't think it matters which wall it is in. You can either use a real window or just cover an opening with plexiglas or something like that. I think a dirt floor in a walk-in coop is great. You can add bedding in that but do not add a floor. A floor gives Mommy Mouse a good place to raise a family.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom