Old man winter!

Our Roost

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
ScottsVille, michigan
I had built our coop rock solid and nothing short of a monsoon was going to collapse it. This past mid summer I erected an add on "Florida "room to be used as protection from predators as well as provide a space for the chickens to move around in when we wern't there throughout the day. It seemed very adequate for what we needed. Unfortunately I didnt apply the rock solid construction to it as I did the coop. After all, it was just a "Florida" room. I didnt take into consideration the heavy snow buildup and added weight on the roof. Yesterday, the walls of Jerico came tumbling down and destroyed it like it was built out of toothpicks! It done some slight damage to my rock solid coop as well. A lesson well learned and could have been avoided if I would have considered the elements of nature. Just a word to the wise, dont cut corners that could cost you dearly later on. I'm sure you have all heard the story about the 3 little pigs and the big bad wolf. Dont build your house out of a bunch of sticks or straw! Think about the real deal and build it right the first time. Old man winter shows no mercy!

Back
Top Bottom