old quail starts laying again

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bobd400, Jan 22, 2017.

1. bobd400

bobd400 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    NE PA
    So, I have an older Quail, she's about 3 years old. I keep my Quail under quite a few hours of light a day (14-16) so that they produce eggs year round. So as usual, they produce an egg a day for about a year, then it becomes sporadic to every other day or every third day, until finally at about a year-and-a-half they stop laying. That was the case with this bird. So she hasn't laid an egg in about a year, maybe a year-and-a-half. About a week and a half ago she started laying again. One was pretty deformed, but since then she's laid four more and they all look normal. What could cause her to start laying again? She's been in the same spot, with the same food, with the same other Quail, all samenities conditions. Only difference I can think of is recently in another coop another female bird passed away and the male bird in that coop has been very vocal since then, which was about a week to 10 days ago. Could that have an effect? Just thought it was very odd.

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Maybe his calling stimulated her reproductive hormones. I've read girls start laying earlier if they can hear a male crowing. Not sure if there's any truth to that but it sure is interesting. There's life in the old girl yet!

My girls do get a winter break and they are over two years old. They still give me an egg every day when laying (it's summer where I am but currently a rather cool, windy one!), sometimes two when they are feeling generous.

It will be interesting to see how long she keeps laying for you.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

I agree and grats that she's laying again hehe ^^

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by