Old shed to convert to Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tobaccodog, Apr 28, 2009.

1. tobaccodog

tobaccodog New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Henderson,NC
    I have a old metal shed on my property that Im thinking of converting to a coop for 15 Australorp Pullets , It measures 10x10 and faces south south-east in my yard, it also has a large maple tree and willow oak to the left of it, any ideas and Im wondering if it will be large enough for that amount of bird's ?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    EEEEWWWW! I'm envious. The possibilities are endless with something like that. It's plenty big for 15 birds. Are you planning a run, also?

3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Now the question is what you gonna do with your strorage? [​IMG] That will make a wonderful coop.[​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sizewise, it will be good if you have sufficient run space outside. By the rule of thumb of 4 square feet per chicken, you could house 25 birds but you need 10 square feet per chicken outside. And bigger is always better.

Those trees on the west should provide shade in the summer but let sunlight through in the winter. The metal will heat up or cool off fairly quickly.

The concern I'd have is to make sure you have adequate ventilation. I'd be more concerned about the heat of summer than the cold of winter. I'll give you the link to Pat's ventilation page which should help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

5. tobaccodog

tobaccodog New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Henderson,NC
    going to put a 15 ft run off to the front and side as for storage, im in the process of completing a new shed here's the pic of the new 16x10 going to backfill today and pour concrete tomorrow.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by