old topic, new member

new2chix2013

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
I have spent quite a lot of time on this but I really could use some advise. I have 9 1/2 week old OEGB's and I thought I had the whole sexing thing figured out... but one of my "ladies" gave me a whole hearted crow this morning. Hmmm... so I read about that and it is possible but it made me reassess this whole sexing thing. I was saying that the small combs were girls, but some of the long combs have short tails like my girls, so is there a sure fire method to this? My daughter needs a breeding pair for 4-H and I would really like to get it right.

Post some pictures and let us take a guess. Soon, if not already, the cockerels should be developing pointy hackle and saddle feathers along with flowing sickle feathers in their tails.

I will post pics later or maybe tomorrow, but I will check the feathers, that one is new to me so thank you.

Sex-linked fast or slow feathering is a trait that is bred into some breeds or families. It only applies to those birds. Male chicks will develop pointed hackle feathers and longer saddle feathers in your breed; don't know about fast feathering. Cockrels crow! Mary

I am pretty sure I got it now, the feathers are different. I will get some pics for you once I get them into their new accommodations. I have 3 hens and 5 roosters together right now, how important is it and at what age do they need to be separated?

Well, I put them in with egg layers and they adjusted just fine, here is the aviary we built. I know it isn't fancy but we used what we had and it only cost us $40.

I am going to a new post, to post the pictures, I want opinions on 'which to take to the fair' ;)

Back
Top Bottom