1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old Turn X Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by new2chickens2011, Feb 17, 2012.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi all,
    I've "inherited" a Turn X incubator (unsure of what model, will check in a bit) that is probably from the 70s. Does anyone still use these OLD models? How do they work? Are they difficult to use?
    I haven't hatched anything yet, but this year is the year I'm going to start!
    Also, the previous owner hatched quail, so there is no turning ring for chicken eggs. WHere would I find one for such an old model?
    Thanks! :)

2. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    One of the incubators I hatch in is a Turn-X (also fom the 70s). The dome has been cracked and glued back together and the thermometer is gone. I do have to make sure that I regulate the temperature for quite a few days before adding eggs and I can't have in a room that the temp varies much. It is in the basement. I do have the turning rings and a working turner (most of the time it works anyways). They still make the Marsh Turn-X type incubator and you can get supplies/parts for them. The places that I've seen them are in my educational supply catalogs. Ebay sometimes can be a place to find parts.

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
  4. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Aahh, okay, thank you very much!

5. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    The turning rings aren't what one would call cheap, but when you consider that the new TX6 costs almost $400 it is probably a worthwhile investment. Were you able to find the model # of yours? Does it use an electronic thermostat or a wafer? I have a copy of the manual for these on file. If you would like a copy PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.
    db

6. chaz123

chaz123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Is it sold I well buy it:)

7. chaz123

chaz123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Is it sold if not I whll buy it:)

8. cooktopfarms

cooktopfarms New Egg

Mar 26, 2013
    It sounds like you have a Turn X5 model like mine. I have contacted the manufacturer to see if some of the newer X6 and X7 parts will fit in the old X5.Unfortunately they told me that they don't make replacement parts for the X5 anymore. Still waiting for a reply to whether or not the newer parts will actually work in the older models. But so far from what I have seen online, the Thermometers and Hygrometers should fit ok. Will be ordering some along with some new turning rings soon to see if they fit. (fingers Crossed) Here is a link to the manufacturers catalog http://www.lyonelectric.com/pdfs/IncubationProducts2012Catalog.pdf
    I hope this helps

9. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    I have a Turn-X 4 I have replaced the base, so it now has the outside water bottle, I removed the Wafer & replaced it with a Solid State heat control, & have used the turning rings from TX-6 or 7 in it As near as I can tell there all the same. I would use Lyon Electric for replacement parts. They manufacture the thing,

10. mandabach

mandabach Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    Anybody have trouble with the turner effectiveness on the Turn-X?

My duck eggs don't seem to be moving much. I'm worried about them and have started turning by hand as well.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by