Old Updates and New Friends

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by revans2003, Jan 2, 2016.

1. revans2003

revans2003 Chirping

Sep 24, 2015
    Happy new year BYC!!!!! [​IMG]

It has been a busy couple of weeks for the ducks and their home.

The small pond went through a major overhaul, I leveled it out with the ground, added an 85 gallon filtration system and added some river stone and a baby palm tree for ambiance. The palm tree is now the favorite water fowl chew toy [​IMG] Welshy is sitting under one of the palm frawn in the picture but don't let her fool you, she started chomping on that frawn the second I put the phone away.

[​IMG]

You may be asking why six ducks stuffed themselves into a small pond when they know DARN well that I spent countless hours building a large duck pond. Well......the answer is.......they're ducks??

The big pond is nearly finished. It has a 35 gallon filtration system and bigger palm trees and more rocks for ambiance. This is the pond that no one is going near, because.....well...they're ducks.

[​IMG]

This was the ducks Christmas dinner. I got the idea from a post on this forum but I cant find it. It is a half pumpkin, roasted and filled with grower crumbles. YUM! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The run is getting closer to finished. The rear wall is 10 feet high and re-enforced with hardware cloth. The roof is a combination of hardware cloth and galvanized fencing.

[​IMG]

You eagle eyed water fowl experts may be wondering who those three Pekins are running around in that last picture when you know darn well I only have baby Pekins. Well, that the new friends part [​IMG]

A member on the board who lived nearby needed to re-home his ducks, so I am now the proud owner of three adult Pekins. They are a bit nervous, as you would expect, but are very sweet and will have a very happy home [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wowza, very newsy news![​IMG]
    Bravo, bravo, bravo!!!!!

We are just beginning to do the build part for Day Pen II. We only have a couple of hours on our best days lately - but we finally have the groundwork done, and picked up the lumber for the base, and all the hardware cloth.

Now, once we are feeling a little more perky (between some ugly head colds and the holidays and some other draining events, energy levels are low right now), I expect we'll get the pen built pretty quickly. I plan to have coated hardware cloth along the base, so I am still sorting out what to do for swim pans. No more lifting and dumping - I want something with a drain. So I plan to review your posts and lift ideas [​IMG]

3. revans2003

revans2003 Chirping

Sep 24, 2015

Awesome! Let me know if you have any questions. A word of advice on drains.......if you are attaching a drain to a flat surface (like the bottom of a pan/pool) bulkhead fittings are the way to go. If you are attaching to a curved surface (like the side of a pan) then you will want uniseals.

On my old setup my 1" drain would consistently clog with duck poo, so I recommend a 1.5 or 2" drain.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have been planning on using a 4 inch Schedule 40 pipe, since I have seen nothing, in years of working with livestock watering troughs, that will choke that up.

5. revans2003

revans2003 Chirping

Sep 24, 2015

I think the drain would eat a duck or two and not choke up :D

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, while the ducks are in the swim pan I was planning on having a plug in the drain . . . . and no, I don't mind reaching in and unplugging the drain….. I have some nice gloves to wear for that task.

[​IMG]

7. revans2003

revans2003 Chirping

Sep 24, 2015

For sure! I was just teasing, that is a solid plan!

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That's why I put the winky face on my reply! The spectre of the drain swallowing a duck was chilling, though...[​IMG]

No duckies in the pool when it's draining! It's the law!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by