Old wound

Ninjapickles

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 24, 2014
Dripping Springs, TX
This girl was attacked by a fox two weeks ago. Her puncture wound that I found healed and also get ripped skin. This is like a huge hard scab. The is no smell. I'm traveling in a few weeks and need to get her healed and back with the flock. Advice? Thanks.

Separate her. Soak her in a deep tub of lukewarm water and a little Hydrogen Peroxide. Probably will have to soak at least an hour ... and the scab will not come off at this point .... then spray with vetricyn and apply Neosporin antibiotic cream. Spray with vetericyn 3x daily and keep applying neosporin. Hopefully, as the neosporin absorbs into the skin the old scab will come off and you can see what the wound looks like. Hopefully no fly-strike or anything like that is present. Keep the wound moist with neosporin and hopefully she will start to heal from the inside out.

This is how I treated my hen that had wounds due to roosters spurs ... so it is not the same as yours, or in the same place, but it is still what I would do. Also, I am no expert at treating chicken wounds.

A vet would be advised.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I actually fiddled with it and sprayed with vetericyn. Later I was showing my husband and saw white around the edges and while manipulating it a little one side popped out and then I was able to remove the whole thing. It was stuck up under her skin. I flushed it with chlorahexadine and cleaned out with a q-tip and then sprayed with vetericyn again and packed with triple antibiotic ointment. It looked smaller today and like new cells grew. I sprayed and cleaned with vetericyn again and ointment. Here's some pictures of what came out and after.

Back
Top Bottom