oldclucks cabinet incubator build.

The thermostat sensor probe is on a cord. it's currently situated between the egg turning trays. distance of heat source to the top tray of eggs will be about 10". If I put the sensor closer to the heat source then I believe variation in temps would be greater.

If you put sensor between the turning trays, then temp variation is high. If you put sensor closer to heat source, it will cycle faster and won't have high jumps in temp.

I am sure no expert and you may be right. However I think there is a reason why placing it lower will be ok. If I was using a thermostat that only had off and on then putting it relatively close to the heat source could make sense as it would cycle more frequently. This is necessary if using say a thermostat from a water heater. As I understand it the incukit thermostat is a proportional thermostat. That means instead of just cycling off and on it can vary the voltage going to the heater coils. This makes for a more precise control of temp. I believe in that situation it would be to the advantage to have the probe where I do. As a test I loaded up the incubator the other day with a load of 2 gallons of water and ran the incubator for 12 hours. temp never varied more than a single degree. If after I place a load of eggs in it I do have problems like you mentioned then obviously i will need to make adjustments.

the incukit has a control panel that sets outside the incubater. it displays the temp. I also have a dial type thermometer mounted in the side a little lower down in the incubator and i have another thermometer to go in the hatching tray.

love this build! thinkin about doin this for DW for her b-day! im a noob when it comes to cabinetry lol howlong did this build take you? from start to finish?

Just 2 weekends from start to finish. I would guess around 24 hours total. Your DW would love it. I never built a cabinet before this either but it wasn't that hard and the Simpson strong ties made it pretty easy to put it together. I didn't have any help holding things while I screwed it together. If you had a helper you could do it much quicker.

Received some SFH eggs today, Tomorrow I am going to put them in the incubator along with a couple of my RIR eggs and give it a go. Keeping fingers crossed that this new incubator and the shipped eggs get along well. Will post more when I candle. Speaking of candling. I made this egg candler this week.

Make sure to have some soft stuff around the hole so when you put your egg against it, around the egg is light tight. If light is leaking around the egg, then it's very hard to see.

Back
Top Bottom