Older bird culling - what to do?

JHCleeve

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2020
Hi all,

I will shortly need to thin out some of my numbers to make way for new blood. The birds that will be culled are probably the best part of 18 months old now, so I am sure they will be tough as old boots and no good for eating.

Any ideas on what I could do with the culled birds? Seems a shame for them to go to waste.

Advice greatly appreciated.

18 months hardly seems like an “older bird” To me. Would you ever consider getting heritage breed replacements that live longer, but produce less heavily over a longer period? Disclaimer: I’m very pro-sustainable farming practices and highly prejudiced against the “cull before 2 years” production layer mindset. If you have a fair number of birds I would suggest selling them cheaply as stewing hens if you’re able... I have a freezer full of chicken stock and soup, just from my excess cockerels from breeding, and have been donating bones to local soup kitchen like services.

Also bear in mind I’m running a small egg and meat business from our farm as supplemental income, but selling at premium prices for local, sustainable, ethically raised animals. In my area this is a highly in demand selling point, and I am grossing $35-40 per meat bird and selling eggs at $6 a dozen (which may be slightly underpriced, but there is more competition in the egg market here). If you can move towards a more sustainable system I would highly encourage it. It’s how I reconcile our Meat Farm with my live of animals.

I hoped I’d find some more suggestions for alternative cooking methods for my recently culled (for behavior) 2 1/2 year old rooster here. I expect my layers to keep decent enough production for another two years at least (I hope). Soup or chicken and Dumplings it is for poor Bob, I suppose. He was a good boy, until he wasn’t anymore.

18 months hardly seems like an “older bird” To me. Would you ever consider getting heritage breed replacements that live longer, but produce less heavily over a longer period? Disclaimer: I’m very pro-sustainable farming practices and highly prejudiced against the “cull before 2 years” production layer mindset. If you have a fair number of birds I would suggest selling them cheaply as stewing hens if you’re able... I have a freezer full of chicken stock and soup, just from my excess cockerels from breeding, and have been donating bones to local soup kitchen like services.

Also bear in mind I’m running a small egg and meat business from our farm as supplemental income, but selling at premium prices for local, sustainable, ethically raised animals. In my area this is a highly in demand selling point, and I am grossing $35-40 per meat bird and selling eggs at $6 a dozen (which may be slightly underpriced, but there is more competition in the egg market here). If you can move towards a more sustainable system I would highly encourage it. It’s how I reconcile our Meat Farm with my live of animals.

I hoped I’d find some more suggestions for alternative cooking methods for my recently culled (for behavior) 2 1/2 year old rooster here. I expect my layers to keep decent enough production for another two years at least (I hope). Soup or chicken and Dumplings it is for poor Bob, I suppose. He was a good boy, until he wasn’t anymore.
Are you talking about chickens? 18 months is older for a quail. They usually have a lifespan of 2.5-4 years. 4 years is an extremely old quail.

You're not talking about quail right? Most males get "culled" at 10 weeks

Are you talking about chickens? 18 months is older for a quail. They usually have a lifespan of 2.5-4 years. 4 years is an extremely old quail.
You're not talking about quail right? Most males get "culled" at 10 weeks
I totally missed the “Quail” Forum :oops: and didn’t see it mentioned anywhere in the initial post!

Yes, I was thinking chickens... I have absolutely no idea about quail or quail lifespans. Most of the wild ones here get taken by hawks, now if I could sell a quail for $35/40 a bird that would Really bump my profit margins! :lau TBH I don’t think there’s any local processors that would do them here so I could sell them. How many quail does it take to make a decent soup? So tiny... so cute... so tiny!!!

Back
Top Bottom