Older Cat Questions-Updated Pg 3!!!!!

ThornyRidge

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
so in my quest to find whatever it takes for my cat I am in need of some advice.. anyway a little background.. cat is nearly 13 year old neutered male always indoor lover! About 3 years ago it was discovered he had bladder stones and had them removed surgically because noticed his litter box frequency with little to no output. He bounced back from surgery and was placed on one of those lovely prescription foods (Hills I believe) and would not touch the stuff! wasted a lot of money and ended up throwing it out.. now I have 2 other cats indoor one of which was a year and ahalf and the other is around 4.5. My quest then began to find the best food for all to eat.. did a lot of online research and found such conflicting information that I too was confused and after trying many of the high end cat foods including (Wellness, Blue Buffalo, and a few others) I settled on TOTW because all seemed to eat it.. the problem is what I am discovering is that maybe the high protein is not good for my dude.. he is seemingly losing a lot of body mass and feeling skeletal to me again.. (this despite reading numerous articles stating that protein and high protein was good for older cats and even those with kidney issues) I am assuming my boy has the kidney issues attributing back to the bladder stones.. anyway he drinks plenty of water and I do notice that his litter box habits have not really changed ( not straining/ or blood or frequency) he does have outside the litterbox issues once inawhile.. but whatever that is why i have two carpet scrubbers.. I went to pet store today and after looking online settled on a bag of the felidae platinum for elderly and weight managment cats. going to see about him eating this.. I do feed him a multitude of moist cat food and occasionally giv ehim canned tuna and chicken.. this he likes! I also have him on some daily cat vitamin/nutrient paste. any other suggestions for me? outside of his weight issue and possibly age related kidney stuff is there any suggestions to pack some weight on him and or make him more comfortable.. I realize I probably don't have him for too much longer especially if kidneys are in poor shape.. but what now? I should note too that his urine really does not have much odor to it.. the other reason I am leaning toward kidney stuff going on.. going to try the felidae now..

Last edited:
Yes, it sounds like kidney issues. No, high protein is NOT good for cats with kidney issues, it's a marketing scheme by the company. There are things you can do for him to help him with his kidney issues, you don't have to just watch him wither away. Talk to your vet, they will probably want to do a blood test to see just where his kidney values are, but you can do subcutaneous (SQ) fluids on him at home a couple of times a week to help flush his kidneys, this will also help with his urinary issues. The problem when you don't feed them a urinary diet is that their pH goes up, which is what forms the crystals that form the stones. Even just the crystals in his bladder can block his urethra. He really does need to be on a prescription diet! Hills isn't the only one out there, there is one by Royal Canin called S.O. and there is one by purina also, but I can't remember what it's called, because we don't carry it. There are options, MAKE your vet find one that works for him. Also, if you feed him wet food, this will help him take in more moisture too.

he is taking in fluid ok.. drinks well and does definately get at least one can of moist food per day.. the problem with the prescription foods is he did not like them.. I had tried 2 of them and I believe the Royal Canin was the other one.. will look to the vet and see what suggestions can be made.. was hoping to find something from home to do to assist him

It sounds like your sweet boy needs to go to the vet asap or things will continue to go downhill quickly. Kidney cat owners do need to be sure to strictly follow the special diet to manage protein intake along with other things, otherwise it will hasten their failure. It can take time to slowing switch them over to it. Mine was also anemic and needed emergency care, along with fluid therapy to be continued at home. Cats do not show pain like we do...he could need your help for pain, too.

Quote:
Exactly.

Also, the tuna, etc is WAY too high in protein for him...

Even if he's drinking well, he needs additional fluid therapy to keep up with the flushing of his kidneys.

my boy isn't old, but he had severe bladder/kidney issues. He is on the Rx feline c/d by Hills I believe. Does your kitty not even like the presciption wet food??? My cats (only one has a problem, but they both eat the food) get the dry daily and the wet for a "treat"
If it's about his health...won't he it eventually??? I mean- I've never known a cat to starve himself to death
gig.gif

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have...I work in a vet ER clinic (licensed tech) and if a cat doesn't eat for several days, their liver will start to shut down, causing a condition called hepatic lipidosis...VERY VERY bad....
sad.png

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have...I work in a vet ER clinic (licensed tech) and if a cat doesn't eat for several days, their liver will start to shut down, causing a condition called hepatic lipidosis...VERY VERY bad....
sad.png

oh...whooops
hide.gif

that would be sad. I just meant to say maybe he needs more time to get hungry
hu.gif
But I'm reallly no expert. My cat is not a picky eater!

Quote:
sad.png

oh...whooops
hide.gif

that would be sad. I just meant to say maybe he needs more time to get hungry
hu.gif
But I'm reallly no expert. My cat is not a picky eater!

Yeah, I know...
wink.png
with his other issues though, it's probably not a good idea to let him go too long without eating, maybe a day, but definitely no more than that...

Cats not eating for over 24 hours can become an emergency, just like with rabbits, because it starts a deadly chain of events that possibly can't be reversed. Cat's should always be switched over slowly so they continue eating.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom