Older chicken having trouble walking/ standing tall

It sounds like one of the hens had laid a shell-less egg, and the hens were fighting over it. I have seen that before. Hens who lay shell-less eggs can feel poorly, and those eggs can be hard to pass. It can be from a calcium deficiency, so I would make sure that they are eating a layer feed and have access to crushed oyster shell. If you know which hen is having that problem, you could give her 1/2 human calcium tablet or Tums for several daysin a row.

Yes ok. I do have Oyster Shells and I will distribute them more throughout the flock. Thank you very much for the information. This can be a reminder that there is a lot more to chickens than just fresh eggs. I feel like I’ve let them down a bit by not paying more attention to their overall health. Something I won’t let slide again!

Yes ok. I do have Oyster Shells and I will distribute them more throughout the flock. Thank you very much for the information. This can be a reminder that there is a lot more to chickens than just fresh eggs. I feel like I’ve let them down a bit by not paying more attention to their overall health. Something I won’t let slide again!

Back
Top Bottom