Older chicken struggling to stand

Porreij

In the Brooder
May 30, 2019
OR
I have 3 chickens. I have had the honor of having two of my three ladies grow old. All of them are Americauna and the oldest two are 8 and 10 years old, the youngest is 4. It is the 8 year old I am worried about.

6 months ago I noticed her slow down a lot, I had thought it was old age but it's obvious there is more going on. She still follows the other two chickens around but lags behind. She can stand, she doesn't seem off balance when she stands or walks, she just doesn't seem to be able to maintain the standing position and gets tired after 30 seconds and sits. She sits near the other two when they are grazing, but doesn't graze as much herself. Most of the issues with stuff like this that I've read talk about balance problems related to thinks like marek's disease. I don't see her having balance issues, just weakness. She has a great appetite and drinks water.

The comb and her legs are pale too so that's why I've decided to post since it's looking more like she is ill. I've included a link to images of how she likes to sit (leaned back on the first joint when she runs out of steam from standing, otherwise she just sits completely down) and of her comb this morning which clearly the other chickens messed up. The youngest is straight up attacking her now, she has abrasions on her comb... Typical to attack the weakest but not sure how to proceed without redoing the whole coop and separating them.mere

What do you think, old age? Or possibly something else? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220105_090337.jpg
    20220105_090337.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220105_090232.jpg
    20220105_090232.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220106_092241.jpg
    20220106_092241.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211208_145547-01.jpeg
    20211208_145547-01.jpeg
    650.5 KB · Views: 9
Congratulations on having chickens make it to their senior years. But, no, old age doesn't mean having weak legs. Something is going on. It could be something as simple as being low chicken in the social order and another chicken bullying her away from getting enough to eat and drink. This can have a direct effect on leg strength and function, even to the point of paralysis.

Thankfully, this is easily treated, and I suggest you treat for this first since it's common and she should respond very quickly. The treatment is special segregated feedings. Eggs, yogurt, mackerel, tofu and boiled rice, etc. Include some water with a little sugar stirred in and this will elevate her glucose and if she stands up and walks normally, then you'll know this was just starvation and you can take measures from here on to make sure she gets adequate food. Yes, she can improve that fast if this is starvation/dehydation.

The next possibility is a vitamin deficiency. This is always possible in aging chickens. B-complex, especially B-100 complex has all of the B-vitamins that can help repair and strengthen nerve connections. So if the above extra feedings don't effect change in her leg strength, this might. It would take a couple weeks or longer to see improvement, though, so persevere.

The third possibility is toxic poisoning. If a chicken manages to pick up grit contaminated with petroleum distillates, it may not be enough to kill her, but enough to cripple her from the neurological damage. There's a small chance the B-complex can improve her condition, but not a big chance.

The last possibility is an avian virus causing nerve damage and even tumors that are crippling her. This isn't treatable. You will suspect this if the legs get worse.

So, treat for each possibility in order of severity. Hopefully, improved nutrition is all this old girl needs to get back her mojo.

Congratulations on having chickens make it to their senior years. But, no, old age doesn't mean having weak legs. Something is going on. It could be something as simple as being low chicken in the social order and another chicken bullying her away from getting enough to eat and drink. This can have a direct effect on leg strength and function, even to the point of paralysis.

Thankfully, this is easily treated, and I suggest you treat for this first since it's common and she should respond very quickly. The treatment is special segregated feedings. Eggs, yogurt, mackerel, tofu and boiled rice, etc. Include some water with a little sugar stirred in and this will elevate her glucose and if she stands up and walks normally, then you'll know this was just starvation and you can take measures from here on to make sure she gets adequate food. Yes, she can improve that fast if this is starvation/dehydation.

The next possibility is a vitamin deficiency. This is always possible in aging chickens. B-complex, especially B-100 complex has all of the B-vitamins that can help repair and strengthen nerve connections. So if the above extra feedings don't effect change in her leg strength, this might. It would take a couple weeks or longer to see improvement, though, so persevere.

The third possibility is toxic poisoning. If a chicken manages to pick up grit contaminated with petroleum distillates, it may not be enough to kill her, but enough to cripple her from the neurological damage. There's a small chance the B-complex can improve her condition, but not a big chance.

The last possibility is an avian virus causing nerve damage and even tumors that are crippling her. This isn't treatable. You will suspect this if the legs get worse.

So, treat for each possibility in order of severity. Hopefully, improved nutrition is all this old girl needs to get back her mojo.
This is fantastic advice! And makes a lot of sense. Today was the first day trying to feed her separately with some extra yummies (egg, rice, sardines, yogurt). It didn't go well. I let the healthy ones out of the run and placed their regular food with them, and tried to feed weak chicken inside the run with special diet food. She ate for a little bit until the main bully chicken decided to pace up and down the run on the outside. Weak chicken went to her and seemed like she wanted to join them. Watching them, it seems like she just accepts her lot at the low pecking order and will follow them despite getting jumped on and peaked at. It's hard to try to get her to eat. I know if I remove just her and put her somewhere away from the other girls to eat, she won't do it. So I tried to just grab the bully and move her somewhere out of site, but she was too fast. The 10 year old ate most of the special diet while weak chicken ate from main food source, no matter what I did to entice weak chicken it was for her. I even hand fed her some. It's just one chicken being the bully. She actually did walk off for a while to let the other two eat (probably because she knows I was trying to catch her, haha). I'll try again later today once they had a chance to wander the yard some.

Back
Top Bottom