Older Chicken

TNT Chicks

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
I have had a few older chickens recently pass, they both had one foot that swelled looked for the black spot and never found one. Now I have a third one that has a swollen foot, any ideas? I don't have any pictures but can try to get one if that would help. Thank you for any idea you may have.

This sounds suspiciously like Mycoplasma synoviae. It's a respiratory disease but it also affects other parts of the body and can cause fluid retention in the feet. Tylan 50 is a good antibiotic for this. You can get it here. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07BC1-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

It says it's for cattle and pigs but it's used for chickens as well. Dosage is .5ml twice a day orally for an average size chicken for five days. If it doesn't clear up after this treatment, you will need to try a different antibiotic. Keep updating this thread, and I will be alerted and can advise you further.

Ok..I soaked her foot no black spot.. so if I give her this what is my next step? I should probably give it to the whole flock, right? Then how often to give it to them? I am not sure what else to ask.

Back
Top Bottom