older chickens injured 2 month old chick

agarnp

Songster
Jul 20, 2022
We had wanted to introduce the 6 chicks--- 2 month olds- to the one year olds (6 hens 1 rooster) and thought it was going well but today went wrong. We had placed the tractor they had been living in right next to the pen where they were seen daily. Then we got them in a large dog kennel and allowed them out inside the run with supervision. At first they stayed right near the cage the first two days but today they got bolder and started venturing out near the older chickens coop....where the older ones eat and sleep at night. This large coop is enclosed but the main door is open all day and closes automatically at night. unfortunately my husband left to go to the store (he had been outside to monitor fir a good part of day) and so I went outside and saw one of the young chicks cornered in the coop area by the rooster. when I ran towards the them the rooster left the chick but when I got to her she had been pecked on ber head--literally a shallow hole bleeding a bit. I applied vaseline after making sure there were no other injuries. poor thing..I felt maybe we were too quick to think they would just be left alone. I think the chick may have been attacked because she entered their area and couldnt find the only way out. This is the first time we do thus and I am feeling a bit rough about it. Any ideas as to how I should proceed in the next few days?

We had wanted to introduce the 6 chicks--- 2 month olds- to the one year olds (6 hens 1 rooster) and thought it was going well but today went wrong. We had placed the tractor they had been living in right next to the pen where they were seen daily. Then we got them in a large dog kennel and allowed them out inside the run with supervision. At first they stayed right near the cage the first two days but today they got bolder and started venturing out near the older chickens coop....where the older ones eat and sleep at night. This large coop is enclosed but the main door is open all day and closes automatically at night. unfortunately my husband left to go to the store (he had been outside to monitor fir a good part of day) and so I went outside and saw one of the young chicks cornered in the coop area by the rooster. when I ran towards the them the rooster left the chick but when I got to her she had been pecked on ber head--literally a shallow hole bleeding a bit. I applied vaseline after making sure there were no other injuries. poor thing..I felt maybe we were too quick to think they would just be left alone. I think the chick may have been attacked because she entered their area and couldnt find the only way out. This is the first time we do thus and I am feeling a bit rough about it. Any ideas as to how I should proceed in the next few days?
Hi! Don't beat yourself up, clean the wound with saline or warm soapy water, spray with bacitryn, let dry and then cover with plain antibiotic ointment. Offer chick sweetened water for shock, and keep in a warm place. You'll need to keep the chick away from others until the wound is no longer red in color. Can you post a picture of it?

Keep the chicks separated but within site at least until their size is close to what the flocks. 2mo vs full grown is still a huge size difference and when you do attempt another release, make sure the younger ones have "hide aways" so they can get away from the adults AND add more feeders/waterers away from each other.

The best integrating method is See but No Touch; section of the coop wired off so the chicks are within sight but the adults can't get to them. Or a large wired dog cage that the chicks are safe yet protected. Your dog kennel in the coop works too but IF you intend to allow them to venture, more feed stations away from each other but IMO the chicks are too "young" to be left with the adults yet.

Alot depends on the breeds you have also, disposition/temperment differs with breeds. Clean the chicks wound (Vetrycin & Triple Antibiotic) keep a close eye that the other chicks don't start pecking at the wound, IF they do best to separate.

Hi! Don't beat yourself up, clean the wound with saline or warm soapy water, spray with bacitryn, let dry and then cover with plain antibiotic ointment. Offer chick sweetened water for shock, and keep in a warm place. You'll need to keep the chick away from others until the wound is no longer red in color. Can you post a picture of it?
thanks for advice. I put chick with her sisters in the cage for the night but first thing tomorrow Ill go out and tend to her and take pic - she was eating and drinking when I left her. Lets see how things go - if I need to keep her away Ill have to find somehere else. I dont think she'll want to be alone since they are a tight group but i keep my fingers crossed that her siblings will not focus on her wound.

Keep the chicks separated but within site at least until their size is close to what the flocks. 2mo vs full grown is still a huge size difference and when you do attempt another release, make sure the younger ones have "hide aways" so they can get away from the adults AND add more feeders/waterers away from each other.

The best integrating method is See but No Touch; section of the coop wired off so the chicks are within sight but the adults can't get to them. Or a large wired dog cage that the chicks are safe yet protected. Your dog kennel in the coop works too but IF you intend to allow them to venture, more feed stations away from each other but IMO the chicks are too "young" to be left with the adults yet.

Alot depends on the breeds you have also, disposition/temperment differs with breeds. Clean the chicks wound (Vetrycin & Triple Antibiotic) keep a close eye that the other chicks don't start pecking at the wound, IF they do best to separate.
Thank you so much for the recommendations - They are RIR. I know it's different when theres a mommy to safeguard her chicks and even though these older chicks are the baby's parents they dont know it- to them they are invaders. I will follow your advice and monitor closely...we will need to fence off some of the run and maybe build a temporary coop where the younger ones can roost at night and be secure. thanks again!

Update-the 2 month old RIR seems fine. I cleaned her wound this morning and applied Triple antibiotic -shes eating & drinking fine, she's quite courageous --of course shes going with the other siblings right back where she was cornered - they are adamant about roosting & dust bathing in the area underneath the second floor coop. I took a picture of her head where she was pecked- it doesnt look as bad today-they heal quick & I havent seen anyone pecking at it. wish me luck-its exhausting looking after these creatures but thanks to all who replied.

Attachments

• IMG-2271.jpg
    IMG-2271.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 12
she ' s doing good. see my update😊

Attachments

• IMG-2271.jpg
    IMG-2271.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom