Older chickens killed younger pullets!!

Age matters when doing the introduction, a minimum introduction age of 8-12 weeks old. Breed doesn't matter so much as bloodline. I've found that hatchery birds can have any temperament, good or bad, while birds from a breeder are more consistent. Breeders don't want flogged every time they go outside, and usually the mean ones are culled and eliminated from the gene pool. Size and attitude is more important, as well as a slow introduction over the course of a couple of weeks. Sometimes you can get away with just adding new birds, sometimes you can't. You have to feel the situation out, and go with how they're acting, and babysit them until you have peace of mind. You'll know if it will be bad when the older birds investigate, they'll start coming close, and the young ones will either run or stand their ground. Usually they run. The boss hen may then give chase, or she won't. A hen from lower standing may be the mean one, elevating herself to new status with the new arrivals being weaker than her. It can get pretty intricate when you sit down and see how they all fit in with each other, or not fit in.

Sorry you lost the birds, it does suck when that happens. If time is short, it's best to have a wire wall, and you can add the babies to one side and walk away, knowing the fence will protect them and the adults can get to know them from afar. Leave them like that for 2 weeks, then have free range during the day. Eventually they'll know each other well enough that you can take the wall down, and that time behind the wall lets the babies get more size and attitude in the mean time. They'll gain some confidence in watching the older birds interactions through the fence.

I have a huge rabbit hutch I converted to a coop, and I use it for the "in between" birds going through growth and introduction. They get free range that I supervise, since 2 of my adults are jerks. When they stop acting that way, I can safely move the other birds to the coop itself. No luck yet, and I've gotten after those hens for being rude. The meanest one is not the leader, and she really wants to boss someone. The actual leader helps me get after her, it's funny. When ever I get after a bird, my oldest and first birds get after her too. The original 3 are fine with new babies, they'll visit them even and share food.

Worse case scenario at my coop... I sell the two trouble makers since these babies are their replacements anyways, and keep my 3 oldest since they're the favorites. The middle aged birds I didn't raise, so they don't "fit" as well as the rest do. I've found that hand raising my babies and playing a more active role in their little lives makes the introductions easier when I add more. Birds that I bought from larger flocks and without hands-on rearing tend to be meaner. The meanest have come from hatchery stock, the sweetest and most docile from breeders.

I'm always adding and removing birds, maintaining a flock of 5-10 but it's ever changing based on age, laying, and temperament. If a bird can't get with the program here, she'll find herself in a larger country flock where she can fend for herself. I always ask how large the flock is before selling, so that I can let the people know if they're setting themselves up for coop drama. I won't send my trouble makers to a small urban flock, since they'll cause issues and usually the owner is a beginner. It works for everyone if they're sent away to a large free range flock outside the city, where mean birds can easily find the stew pot or get a wake-up call on their behavior from a rooster.

There is definitely more drama without a rooster, so I try to mesh similar docile temperaments to avoid the potential blood bath. We can't have a rooster, so I have to be the boss. I can't sit with them all the time, so I only keep the birds who are sweet. My boss hen is sweet to me, but she won't take any lip from a jerk. The meanest one here is also a Black Star, from hatchery stock, but she still doesn't get any respect from the leader Wheaties. When I brought the 2 new ones home last year, Wheaties got right in the face of the Black Star and let her know how things were. The new ones were adult sized at 6 months old, so I knew there would be a fight, but they were old enough to handle it, so I just watched. They sorted it out quickly with minimal blood loss.

I'll protect the young ones, and chase off adults until they approach calmly and with good intentions. If the birds are adult sized, I only watch and let them sort it out. Feather yanking mostly. Blood sometimes. Other times I have to grab a hen and lock her back up, or do emergency wound care. It can get ugly quick!

It's different every time, with every introduction. Sometimes it takes a day, other times it takes 3 months for things to return to normal. The best is when there is a 5 minute stare-down, and they're done. But that's rare. Having a barrier set up to keep them safe removes the stress of it, even if it's just a dog crate on the floor of the coop.

Reading this made me sad. I'm sorry you lost some chicks.

About 2 weeks ago, I had to put my second set of chicks in with my first batch (they are about 3 weeks apart) I waited till the younger ones were bigger just because I was afraid of that happening. I now have my last set of chicks, and, I will probably wait till they are about a month or so before introducing them to the older ones. I am worried about my 3 Bantam chicks. Since they will be smaller no matter what.

Oh, so sad. =( Sorry about your loss. I've got to integrate my chicks to my Big Girls in the not-too-distant future and now I know I've got to be very careful about it.

I've got 6 chicks that are about 5 weeks old now. They outgrew the original brooder so we made a large grow-out pen and placed it in the coop with the "Big Girls". They're in the same living space but the big girls can't get to them. Once our weather improves [it's chilly and they're calling for rain all this week, ugh!], the chicks will go out into a chicken tractor that is pushed right up against the Big Girls run. They'll be together but separated, like now.

My intent is to keep the chicks in the tractor until they get close to the size of my Big Girls and then integrate them. By that time they will have been together-but-separate for a couple of months. Hopefully, they will have gotten used to each other but I'm sure there will be some pecking order issues to resolve. At least the chicks have the advantage of numbers - there are six of them - and only three larger girls.

I'm so sorry -- I know how you feel because I had something similar happen.

I introduced three grown pullets (4, 6, and 9 months) to my peaceful little flock and used the "sneak them in last night" technique. Never again. Nobody is fooled. In my case, the mild rooster lost his mind. I pulled him out and caged him within sight of his flock after seeing him be too rough and let the ladies settle things down on their own. Once they had it worked out (several days later) I reintroduced him. I figured he'd see that they weren't fighting and not feel the need to run off the new gals. Nope! He was on his best behavior with me there watching but as soon as I left, he brutally attacked one of them. I was heartbroken.

We built a mini coop by the big coop and a run alongside the big girls' run and I started this year's chicks in it. In addition to the visual interaction, I'm ranging the chicks with the hens and they are working out their place in the order where there are no corners. My hope is that the younger ones will integrate themselves into the flock and that does appear to be happening although I have one hen bent on chasing them still. Oh, and she was one of the two survivors of the rooster's attack. He's not around anymore.

Last edited:
Sometimes these things go so smoothly that we wonder what all the worry was about. Sometimes there are disasters. I’ve read about that adding them to the coop at night thing. Like Debid said, it doesn’t always work. In my opinion, the big advantage of the overnight thing is that when it works they settle their differences before the human is down there to interfere. When it doesn’t work, it is a disaster because the weaker cannot get away.

I wrote the stuff below for another question but I’m not typing all this again. I think this is generic enough to get my points across.

I’m going to give you a long answer because there is no short simple answer other than maybe. Hopefully some of this will help you make that transition easier. I don’t know the age difference in yours, but obviously it’s enough to cause problems. Even if they are the same age, you can have problems. Something else I’ll mention. Just because something can happen does not mean it will each and every time without fail. You are dealing with living animals. They don’t always act the same way.

One thing to look for is that it is possible for chickens to recognize which chickens belong in their flocks and which don’t. They might attack any strange chicken that does not belong to their flock. This doesn’t happen each and every time but it happens often enough to be a concern. A good way to help with this is to house the chickens side by side for a while where they can see each other but can’t attack each other. I suggest at least a week. By then they should recognize that each other have a right to be there.

Another thing is pecking order. They are social animals but to live together peacefully each chicken needs to know where it ranks in the flock. What generally happens when two chickens meet that haven’t worked this out is that one pecks or somehow tries to intimidate the other. If one runs away, it’s settled, though there may be a bit of chasing to drive the message home. If one does not run away, that’s a challenge and things can get violent. Usually one of them quickly realizes that they really should run away instead of fighting, so it gets settled. But sometimes they are evenly matched and it really gets violent. Death and destruction really doesn’t happen that often but there is one big key here. You have to have enough room for the loser to run away and get away. The tighter you have them packed in there the more dangerous this becomes. I don’t know how much space is enough space. That’s going to vary by each flock. Each flock has its own unique dynamics.

Another thing that will probably concern you. A more mature chicken will always outrank a less mature chicken and they can be pretty bad bullies about it. That’s probably some of what you saw. The more age difference the higher the risk. How they handle this is that the younger run away and very quickly learn to just stay out of the way of the older ones. They pretty much form a separate flock until they mature enough to force their way into the pecking order. Again the key is that they need enough room to run away and avoid.

A lot of us integrate chicks with the flock all the time and don’t lose any. Broody hens successfully do that all the time, often weaning their chicks and leaving them on their own with the flock at four weeks. I’m not a broody hen that takes a few weeks teaching the other hens to leave her chicks alone so I wait a few weeks longer, usually mixing them at 8 weeks. But I have a lot of space. If space is tight, it might be better to wait longer, maybe even until they are pretty much full grown. We all have different conditions.

There are some other things you can do that can help, other than providing as much space as you can. Unless yours free range all the time, put some things in the coop and/or run they can hide behind or under, some way to avoid the older ones or at least stay out of sight. And house them side by side for a while.

Provide feed and water in different areas. That way the young can eat and drink without challenging the older ones.

One of the places I see the worst brutality is on the roosts as they are settling in for the night. I suggest you provide extra roost space so they have room to get away, especially while some are too immature to force their way into the pecking order. I went so far as to provide a separate roost, lower than the main roosts and separated a little horizontally so they have a safe place to go that is not my nests.

As I said, many of us do this kind of stuff a lot. Sometimes it goes so smoothly you wonder what all the fuss and worry was about. Occasionally it gets pretty violent. Usually it is somewhere in between, with some pecking and chasing but no real harm done. I wish you luck with yours.

I put my pullets in the big coop because it was too hot in the shed that they are originally in. The older chickens did not seem like they even cared at all about the younger ones and so i had no concern. I came out about 45 minutes later to check on them and the older chickens pecked one too death and another one to where it had no skin on most of its body. I ended up having to kill that one my self. The other pullet was fine but still has some marks. I thought chickens were really cool at the beginning of the day now I am starting to feel like they are just nasty disgusting animals.
How old were your pullets and how many hens were there?

I put my pullets in the big coop because it was too hot in the shed that they are originally in. The older chickens did not seem like they even cared at all about the younger ones and so i had no concern. I came out about 45 minutes later to check on them and the older chickens pecked one too death and another one to where it had no skin on most of its body. I ended up having to kill that one my self. The other pullet was fine but still has some marks. I thought chickens were really cool at the beginning of the day now I am starting to feel like they are just nasty disgusting animals.
I had two clicks that had been in the big coop with the chickens since the day they were born. At 7 weeks I started letting the mama hen out with the rest of the chickens. After two days I noticed she would peck the pullets away from her but I wasn’t worried. Yesterday morning I went out and my babies were gone. Completely except for a few feathers. No predator got in. My adults killed my babies and ate them bones and all. I felt horrible.

Hi and welcome to BYC. You replied to a thread that is 10 years old, but that's ok; your post is still relevant. I'm really sorry about your 2 chicks. How many adult chickens are in your flock? It is highly unusual for a flock to eat 7-week-old chicks bones and all, especially since they were raised by a broody hen and exposed to the flock from day one. When was the last time you saw the chicks the day before, and what time did you discover they were gone the next morn? Are you Positive no predator including rats could get to the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom