Older chicks

Daybydaylearner

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to house chicks that are not yet fully feathered but have outgrown their container we've been keeping them in?

If I were a smart-ass I'd say a bigger container.

@Sheepheart is right that we really need more information. I'm going to assume you don't have a building set up as a brooder and are keeping them in a big box. Rubbermaid makes some larger storage containers that have removable hinged lids. One of those could hold 12+ half grown chicks for a while. But the problem with any container, even if you go with something like a small stock tank, is that when they start to feather out the chicks will be able to fly enough to escape the container. You're going to need a shed or an enclosed run to keep them secured and uncrowded at some point, probably sooner than you think.

I have 6 chicks and currently they are in a large storage bin covered with hardware cloth. They are only like 2-3 weeks old though so it seems they still need the heat lamp.

Cardboard boxes cut and taped together for larger space. I’ve used closet rods and tall/heavy chairs to hang heat lamps from (double secured, of course).

or sacrifice a side of the plastic container, and add a second container to double the space.

I have 6 chicks and currently they are in a large storage bin covered with hardware cloth. They are only like 2-3 weeks old though so it seems they still need the heat lamp.
That should actually work for 6 chicks for another 4-5 weeks. You'll want to make sure they have a feeder and waterer that keeps them supplied when you aren't around. You might want to consider a ceramic bulb for your heat lamp too. If they have light all night they'll eat all night. If you aren't using them as meat birds there's no advantage to faster growth.

And watch for signs that they're picking at each other. They do it when they're bored and if you ignore it they can peck open wounds into your weaker chicks.

Back
Top Bottom