Older/elderly duck

Jloc

Hatching
Feb 2, 2015
Hello, I have a Pekin male that will be 13 years old in March. Other than arthritis and a few stints with bumble foot over the years, he seems very healthy. He lives in the house for the winter now that he is older. Does anyone out there have experience with older ducks or does anyone know of one personally living that long or longer than that? Does anyone have any experience with older duck conditions or issues? He is the best and most wonderful friend I have ever had. I also wanted to add he doesn't keep himself as clean (vent area) as he used to and I wondered if that was normal for older ducks. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello, I have a Pekin male that will be 13 years old in March. Other than arthritis and a few stints with bumble foot over the years, he seems very healthy. He lives in the house for the winter now that he is older. Does anyone out there have experience with older ducks or does anyone know of one personally living that long or longer than that? Does anyone have any experience with older duck conditions or issues? He is the best and most wonderful friend I have ever had. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to BYC, you are rare, as far as i know since I've been on BYC I've only met one other person with older ducks his was 12 and having health issues it's been a couple years and he came and went. I have 3 Muscovy's 1 drake 2 ducks who will be 11 yrs old this March and July , my drake barely walks and one of my girls I think may have ducky Alzheimer's or dementia she gets confused very easily and frightens easy. Both girls did lay a few eggs last year too.
That's wonderful that you have had your drake for so long, is he your only duck?

They will be 11? That's wonderful, though I am sorry to hear they are having health issues. Mine is my only duck and always has been and is very sharp mentally and can walk also, but slower than he used to. I guess I was hoping it is common for them to live this long!

They will be 11? That's wonderful, though I am sorry to hear they are having health issues. Mine is my only duck and always has been and is very sharp mentally and can walk also, but slower than he used to. I guess I was hoping it is common for them to live this long!
It probably is the way we keep them, sounds like you pretty much care for your similar to how I do although I haven't brought mine inside they have secure fencing and ways to get out of the weather during the day and are locked up at night. Ducks are very healthy if feed well and protected from preds and kept in clean environment well as clean as possible when having ducks. I have another one who will be 8 in April from there it goes down to age 4 and under. I read somewhere that 8 yrs is about max for a duck so we have proven other wise with ours. Post some pics of your boy I'd love to see him. Have you had him since he was a duckling?
Now look at this http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/duck-life-span.aspx

Last edited:

Yes, since he was a few days old! Thank you for the info; I hope all our ducks continue to defy the odds!!!

Majestic Waterfowl has some elderly drakes. One that they lost maybe it was last year, had some reproductive concerns. Let me see if I can find the article. There are several articles about his decline, but it was related to his reproductive system.

Well, here is a newsletter that refers to treating their arthritis at ten years of age. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue86.htm

Thank you so much for that info! I'm about to read that article now. I have wondered about reproductive issues with prolapse being a concern as Duckie gets older.

Last edited:
From what I recall, the problems would develop around mating season. You may want to contact Majestic to see if they learned anything they would have tried knowing what they know now, or if there were treatments that seemed to make more of a difference early on.

Back
Top Bottom