Older goose with mobility issues

blackbox

Chirping
Jun 16, 2023
California
This is Heather:
1000021680.jpg

She is at least 14 years old, probably older, and otherwise healthy, but I've noticed she has been struggling getting in and out of the pond. She walks well on flat ground, albeit slowly, and swims great, it's only when she's walking uphill or climbing in and out of the water that she has trouble. It reminds me a bit of my older arthritic dogs going up the stairs. She doesn't seem to be in any pain thankfully, just moving a little slowly and carefully, with less strength than she used to have.

I know that as they age they slow down and get sore easily and there's nothing you can do other than accommodate them most often, but I was wondering if there were perhaps any joint supplements I could try or something like that to help. Is niacin useful for adult geese as well? Sadly there are no vets in my area that know anything about waterfowl.

Last edited:
This is Heather:
View attachment 3624558
She is at least 14 years old, probably older, and otherwise healthy, but I've noticed she has been struggling getting in and out of the pond. She walks well on flat ground, albeit slowly, and swims great, it's only when she's walking uphill or climbing in and out of the water that she has trouble. It reminds me a bit of my older arthritic dogs going up the stairs. She doesn't seem to be in any pain thankfully, just moving a little slowly and carefully, with less strength than she used to have.

I know that as they age they slow down and get sore easily and there's nothing you can do other than accommodate them most often, but I was wondering if there were perhaps any joint supplements I could try or something like that to help. Is niacin useful for adult geese as well? Sadly there are no vets in my area that know anything about waterfowl.
Niacin and the rest of the Bs is beneficial at all ages. I’ve heard tart cherry extract is beneficial for arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory effects. Meloxicam is a great pain reliever and is sometimes prescribed to elderly birds for arthritis though it does need a prescription.

@Miss Lydia mentioned a great natural pain reliever on another post but I can’t remember what it’s called.

Back
Top Bottom