Older hen acting lethargic normal?

@Wyorp Rock I went out to give my littler babies some fresh water and I found Christina dead under the coop. I am quite miffed in fact, her comb was a purpley color, she was on her stomach with her wings slightly splayed. I found one of my ducks out (they have a separate pen next to the chickens divided with electro netting) and I am very worried that maybe he tried to mate with her and that killed her? None of the other birds were hurt. I am extremely upset, Christina was very very special to me, and I am angry at the ducks. If they did do that I don’t know what to do, it’s hard to keep them separate because they can fit through the fencing. The medicine was coming today and I was so excited because I thought she was going to get better. I’ll have to talk to my dad about a separate solution for the ducks, I thought this would work but I don’t trust them. I don’t really even know if I want to keep them anymore.
Abriana, I'm sorry to hear about Christine :hugs

It would be really hard to know what happened unless you had a necropsy performed. It's very possible she suddenly succumbed to whatever condition that was causing her decline.

Trying not to get too graphic here but, once a bird dies, the comb will often turn purple. There's also some residual movement/flapping and this can provide enough momentum to send the bird into some awkward positions. So even the place or position you find them in may not be where they died.

You know your flock, your ducks and your situation better than anyone. You must have seen something for you to have concerns about the ducks, but unless you actually see it happen, it would be speculation that one of the ducks harmed her. I've had hens seem to get better for a short period of time, then suddenly they were gone, so it's very possible she just passed quickly and from no interference from the ducks.

Abriana, I'm sorry to hear about Christine :hugs

It would be really hard to know what happened unless you had a necropsy performed. It's very possible she suddenly succumbed to whatever condition that was causing her decline.

Trying not to get too graphic here but, once a bird dies, the comb will often turn purple. There's also some residual movement/flapping and this can provide enough momentum to send the bird into some awkward positions. So even the place or position you find them in may not be where they died.

You know your flock, your ducks and your situation better than anyone. You must have seen something for you to have concerns about the ducks, but unless you actually see it happen, it would be speculation that one of the ducks harmed her. I've had hens seem to get better for a short period of time, then suddenly they were gone, so it's very possible she just passed quickly and from no interference from the ducks.
Oh I didn’t realize they all turned purple. I’ve really only ever had hens die of predator attacks so I assumed with that trauma it would turn purple.

Ive had that happen once too. I really hope that’s what it was. The ducks never bothered the older hens, only the pullets (and they’re too quick for the ducks), but I saw them trying to tangle with my rooster through the fence the other day so who knows.

My dad and I strung up 1 inch deer netting over the whole fence. I saw them trying to get through this morning but there is absolutely no way that they can so now I feel better that no more chickens can get hurt.

I was really hoping she’d get better :( it seemed as if she would. Thank you so much for all your help, I really really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom