Older Hen Is Looking Odd

Okay. Are either of those life threatening to chickens?
And is fowl pox contagious to humans?
Fowl pox is not a threat to humans,
It's not fowl pox, it's almost certainly not blackhead either. The blood on her comb is probably from your other chickens pecking her.
Have you checked her for lice and mites?
Has she ever been de-wormed?
How much does she weigh?
Has she lost weight?
So then what is it?

Thank you all for replying.
Why would the chickens peck her, though?
I haven't checked her for lice and mites. I probably should have done that hours ago though, but I'm not really sure how.
I'm not sure how much she weighs, but I would like to know how... and if she would be okay with being handled to be weighed.
Does she sound like her life is in danger?

Thank you all for replying.
Why would the chickens peck her, though?
I haven't checked her for lice and mites. I probably should have done that hours ago though, but I'm not really sure how.
I'm not sure how much she weighs, but I would like to know how... and if she would be okay with being handled to be weighed.
Does she sound like her life is in danger?
They tend to pick on the ones at the bottom of the pecking order, or if they are weak. I would put your hen on a human weight scale. And her life may be in danger...

She doesn't seem as though she's low on the pecking order, but I haven't been specially keeping an eye on that, so I'm not sure I know.
I asked. Unfortunately, my dad won't let me weigh her, or take her to the vet. I really don't know what to do!
What could it be, aside from getting pecked? 😟
And how urgent is it, in life and death?

Last edited:
Stop saying that she's likely to die.

It doesn't look too worrying, honestly. Are you able to get a picture of her face? Does she make any sounds when she breathes? What exactly is worrying you, Op?

Stop saying that she's likely to die.

It doesn't look too worrying, honestly. Are you able to get a picture of her face? Does she make any sounds when she breathes? What exactly is worrying you, Op?
I agree. This doesnt look life threatening. The comb could be from pecking (chickens do this because of. Bullying, too small of a coop, boredom, or they might have seen something on her comb and tried to get it) or frostbite (not life threatening)

Are there any other symptoms OP? How old is she? Is it possible that it's just getting close to her time to go?

Back
Top Bottom