Older hen, not doing well

MeatKing

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Near Ottawa Ontario Canada
So yesterday, am, I let chickens out, to the grassy yard.. Where they don't go often, anyways.. One stays behind.. So I think that is werid.
I go to check on her, and she just stays laying down, but with all her feathers puffed up at me. She seems to be breathing a little heavy, and when she did stand she seemed a bit wobbley.

I have no new chickens in the flock, and no reason to think think she is sick from something other then, old age or something..

So I have qurented her, and gave her fresh water/ food that she eagerly ate and drank up.. Appears to be in the same condition tonight. Gave her some yourgurt, she ate up.

Anything else I should be doing for her? She is a barred rock, of unknown age. But one of our fav. hens. My SIL bought her from someone, SIL kept her for 2 years, we've had her for almost 2 years.

She is one of the few hens not molting, if this tells you anything..
hu.gif

Thank-you everyone

Makes me wonder if she's getting ready to molt, since she hasn't yet. And with her being an older hen, it could be hitting her harder than normal. This was a very hard year for my BR's molt - she was totally out of it, starting a few days before she began dropping feathers. So I'm hoping that's what's going on with your girl
fl.gif

Thank-you all,

Is being lathargic, something older hens may do when getting ready to molt?

I have not wormed flock ever..

Could this be problem? She hasn't laid in since I've separated her. She's sort'eve earned her keep here as being the only chicken to play with my GS dog. (No he never did nothing to her, I'm outside when he is)

They are about 1.5 years old.. (except for her) I was got her cause she was bottom of pecking order, at old home and wasn't doing well. I introduced her, when other hens were juvinels.

Anything else I can do for her?

oh thanks for the hint,
searching now
smile.png

Last edited:
oh I was just reading up on de-worming..

I saw something about wildlife... I have little chickadees, steeling there food.. I always thought it was sort've cute, could this cause a problem?

Well, normally I'd say observe her for signs of eating and drinking, and take a look at her droppings. But you said she's gobbling up treats, so I'd take a look at her droppings to see if they look fairly normal. While you have her in, take a close look for parasites (lice/mites), especially around the base of vent area feathers, under wings, etc.
So nice that your DH is a softie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom