Older hen proplased vent + egg bound- need advise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunflower, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    My 6 year old mix breed hen was found last Wed. 2/5/14 with a very poopy butt and it was 10 degrees out, so I brought her in to clean her up. I noticed her vent was popped out and black (frostbite?) So I got the dog crate out and put her in a warm place for the night. Next day, I soaked her runp in warm water, applied jojoba oil inside her vent and around the vent. Nothing. Next day, I did the same thing. Tried olive oil, in and around vent and tried to feed her some too. Black wound looking a little better. She is not eating or drinking much at all. I feed them normal layer feed, flock of about 7 now. Supplement with calcium and/or crushed sterilzed egg shells. They get organic lettuce or spinach daily.
    They have a nice and dry coop with access to a covered play yard and water every day.
    She has never had any health issues before, but one of the hens does lay the soft shelled eggs pretty often. I'm afraid I may have found the hen.
    She is straining, straining. Bless her heart, nothing is happening. She won't eat. If I "force" her by placing food in her mouth she spits it out, so I don't push the issue.
    Any advise on what to expect?
    Her vet appointment is tomorrow, 2/12/14 and we're thinking about euthanizing b/c of her age and she's just not showing any improvement and isn't really eating anything.
    Thank you for your input.

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by