Older hen with swollen lower abdomen after introducing rooster to flock

Kgriffith0712

Chirping
Feb 9, 2018
About a year ago, and byy donation, I received an older hen that was thought to be at least 3 years old. after having one of my girls picked off by a hawk I decided to raise a jersey giant to help keep watch over the girls. He is about 6 months old and the first hen he started mating was the (oldest) 3 year old hen. she seems to be his preference. about a week ago I noticed she was walking bow-legged and her butt was to the ground. We separated them for a while and she seem to be doing better but now I noticed when I picked her up her lower abdomen appears to be very swollen and to the touch you can push it in and out. I don't know if this is related to the rough activity of the rooster or if she is getting something internally and just coincidentally the time the rooster was introduced. I've never had a rooster before so I'm not sure why he selected her specific if it was for dominance or if she was more willing. She seems to try to run and hide when he's around. she still seems to have an appetite which makes me happy but I'm not sure if her swollen abdomen is due to mating or with her being so old if she possibly could have something with her reproductive system. I'm fairly new to chickens and have been researching and saw something called Egg Peritonitis. thanks in advance!

Many roosters will mate what is easy. I actually culled a very nice well behaved barred rock rooster last year because he started going for the older ladies.

It could be internal laying, but it could also be ascites which is often a sign of organ failure. The abdomen fills with fluid. Either option doesn't usually end well. I personally would cull her as it can't be very comfortable.

Guessing she was already on her way with whatever ails her.
Had you examined her before?
The stress of a cockerel activity could have hastened the disease that has her swelled up.

Back
Top Bottom