Older Hen

Since she has eye bubbles, nasal drainage, head shaking, she probably has MG. The LA 200 would help to treat those symptoms. Make sure that she crop is emptying overnight, by checking it early morning, when it should be empty. If it is not emptying, then she may have a crop problem. Offer her some type of probiotic with her food, such as a little buttermilk, or a small amount of plain yogurt stirred into some water chicken feed.

I will have to pick some up tomorrow. She's barely eating I'm afraid she's not going to make it we gave her 2 rounds of the LA 200 the feed store said she shouldn't need but one. She did eat some scrambled eggs today.

Last edited:
From what i read about the MG i dont think thats it. Could it be her age and a regular respritory infection.

((No or mild signs in adult birds, including lethargy, loss of appetite, drop in laying, yellow poo, wheezing, coughing, sneezing, discharge from nares or eyes, or swollen wings or hocks. It causes death in chicks at a much higher rate, and also causes slowed growth, stunting, and other problems.)))

the lethargy is i think from not eating much. shes not sneezing, no swollen wings or hocks. shes not wheezing when she breaths that i can hear theres just like a airy sound from time to time sound like coming from her crop. the LA 200 we gave her seemed to perk her up for a day or two but the symptoms never went away and then the perkyness went away to.

((No or mild signs in adult birds, including lethargy, loss of appetite, drop in laying, yellow poo, wheezing, coughing, sneezing, discharge from nares or eyes, or swollen wings or hocks. It causes death in chicks at a much higher rate, and also causes slowed growth, stunting, and other problems.)))
the lethargy is i think from not eating much. shes not sneezing, no swollen wings or hocks. shes not wheezing when she breaths that i can hear theres just like a airy sound from time to time sound like coming from her crop.
i do hear gurgeling from time to time she does have watery eyes. she keeps one eye closed alot cause of the watering of it.
she does have a runny nose also
From what i read about the MG i dont think thats it. Could it be her age and a regular respritory infection.
What is a "regular" respiratory infection? Chickens for the most part have respiratory diseases - Mycoplasma is fairly common (another name for it is CRD=Chronic Respiratory Disease). Symptoms include watery or bubbly eyes, sneezing, mucous, lethargy, going off feed, coughing, etc. Without testing it's hard to know the cause since most have similar symptoms.

The airy sound coming from the crop - is the crop empty in the mornings? Can you cage her overnight, place down some puppy pads and get a good look at her poop? Post some photos of the hen and her poop - those may be helpful.

You had said earlier that she has watery eyes, is gurgling, and shakes her head. Those are signs of a respiratory infection, but it may be a virus. It can be hard to tell one disease from another without testing. All diseases can make them lethargic somewhat. I would just try to offer her some foods that she will eat, sticking mainly to chicken feed, with a little extra protein, such as scrambled egg or tuna. Hopefully she will get stronger since her molt is over, but at her age, she is a rare bird to be laying eggs still. Keep an eye on her crop making sure that it empties by each morning.

1994.JPG
1993.JPG
2018.JPG

Back
Top Bottom