Older Pekin being a jerk to young ducklings

Ninjapoultrymom

Chirping
Nov 3, 2018
NWFL...Floribama basically
Merry Christmas! I have 2 year old Pekin ducks who mated and gave my 5 healthy babies about 5 weeks ago. We have been letting the babies be with the ducks during the day and bringing them in at night. Night before last, we found one of our babies dead, its down had been plucked completely from under its wings. Tonight when we went to get the babies, 2/4 of them had the same,thing, but we went out early in the evening. (There is SO MUCH BLOOD!!!) Anyway, which duck could it be? The male trying to be dominant? We thought so at first because it was a male that was killed but the two that were hurt today are one each male and female and our large male baby doesn't have a scratch. They leave the babies alone during the day and seems to "attack" at night. Anyone have any ideas??

You can see in the one picture, the bleeding has stopped. The other is still bleeding, but he has only been in the bath for like 15 min. I had little miss in the tub for a good 30-40 min now. She was bleeding pretty bad. I am so sad for them. :(

Attachments

• 1225181959.jpg
    1225181959.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1225181958a.jpg
    1225181958a.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 13
I am no expert,and experts are going to be hard to find tonight. If I were in your place I would put non painkilling neo-sporting on them . Perhaps someone with more knowledge will check in.

Both great replys and one other point is the rapey-ness of drakes. Horomones are usualy slowed down this time of year but always a rist. ducklings arent developed and it can hurt them!

Ducks are reaoy tough and those are very minor injurings even tho their sweet little fluffy babies theyll be just fine!

In my experience it is generally drakes that do this sort of thing, but the only way to know for sure is to watch them. The solution is separation until the young ducks are larger and fully feathered.
That is why I have 2 pens and 2 runs that are together but can be closed off from each other. When I integrated my babies from their swimming pool home last summer to the "big duck" area they were about 6 weeks old. My old drake (their father) was awful to them even at that age. Their 3 mothers weren't all that nice either but not as nasty as their dad.

I never put the babies in the same pen with the old ones at night. They were big and fully feathered when they finally all got to play together outside in the duck runs and even then their dad was always biting and chasing them all day so he went to a new Craig's list home. So now I'm thinking all will be good. Nope! One of my 2 baby boys started being a total jerk to his baby brother (who he'd always loved) and I tried everything but eventually he also had to go to a new Craig's list home. Then the world was at peace and everyone could be together all day and night. 1 boy 4 girls peace on earth good will toward all ducks.

Back
Top Bottom