Older plus younger hens

2dancingrats

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Bay City, Michigan
I have 12 one year old hens in my coop. I have 8 3 month old hens in a pen. Today I got 6 more hens who are about 6 weeks old.
I added the youngest hens in with the 3 month olds. There was a LOT of pecking going on. I made kind of a shelter in the pen so the little ones could hide. When they get pecked they go there, but then come right back out until they get pecked again. Will they be okay? Will the other hens actually hurt them, or are they just trying to show the youngsters who's boss.
I let all of my hens free range daily, but I keep the 3 month olds separated from the one year olds because I have a rooster out with the oldest birds and I know he would do some damage.
When I let the younger girls out tonight, one of the new ones got out with them. She was fine the whole time they were outside of the pen (and the rest of the babies enjoyed the break).
My question is, just how do I integrate all of these birds into my hen house. There is plenty of room, I just want to make sure everyone is safe and old enough to stand up for herself.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom