Older Rooster Question

FlyAnywayAJ

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2017
I have 2 separate chicken flocks each with their own rooster. I am very fond of these guys. Since we breed with both flocks I am curious how long a rooster is typically at peak fertility? Is there any signs their fertility rates are waning before hatch rates start to drop?
What’s everyone’s experience?
They are Wyandotte and Ameraucana

It can vary, depending on the individual bird.
Only way to tell for sure is to watch the yolks as you break open the to eat.
How old are they?

I have a 4yo cock who has slowed down this spring, not mounting much and little fertility showing on yolks. His replacement is in the coop brooder now.

I agree it depends a lot on the individual bird. There is no set age.

There is another factor besides fertility, there is desire. Often, as they get older the effort often drops. A young vigorous rooster may be able to keep 25 or more hens fertile while an older one may only keep a small handful fertile. The sperm is still viable, he just doesn't care to distribute it as much.

Dad used to keep one rooster free ranging with a flock if about 25 to 30 hens. I can't remember how often he changed out roosters, usually with a cockerel hatched on the farm. But when I set the eggs practically every one hatched. I'm pretty sure some of those roosters were four years old and still managed, but you see Aart's experience. Dad's roosters were a barnyard mix, usually had some game in them but also had Dominique and/or New Hampshire.

It can vary, depending on the individual bird.
Only way to tell for sure is to watch the yolks as you break open the to eat.
How old are they?

I have a 4yo cock who has slowed down this spring, not mounting much and little fertility showing on yolks. His replacement is in the coop brooder now.

They are both 2 years old and fertility rates are great. One has 10 girls and the other 14. We are going planning on retiring some of the ladies this fall but wondering when we should start planning for new roosters.

Thanks for the info

I agree it depends a lot on the individual bird. There is no set age.

There is another factor besides fertility, there is desire. Often, as they get older the effort often drops. A young vigorous rooster may be able to keep 25 or more hens fertile while an older one may only keep a small handful fertile. The sperm is still viable, he just doesn't care to distribute it as much.

Dad used to keep one rooster free ranging with a flock if about 25 to 30 hens. I can't remember how often he changed out roosters, usually with a cockerel hatched on the farm. But when I set the eggs practically every one hatched. I'm pretty sure some of those roosters were four years old and still managed, but you see Aart's experience. Dad's roosters were a barnyard mix, usually had some game in them but also had Dominique and/or New Hampshire.

That’s interesting about having less libido, that’s something I can observe along with looking at the cracked eggs for the bulls eye ring in the yolk to determine when they are slowing down.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom