Olfactory deterrents for 'coons?

WunnySharbit

Chirping
Nov 23, 2018
(My apologies in advance if this a repeat thread. If it is, please point me in the direction I can find it.)

I have seen quite a few posts on the internet about using different smells, sprays, etc to deter raccoons:
--cinnamon, cloves,etc (doesn't make sense-love cin/raisin bread fed to brrrds)
--moth balls :)lau)
--pepper spray/mace or homemade hot pepper/garlic spray or cayenne powder (used in garden/flowerbed for neighbors cats, but apparently wore off after a few days)
--??????????????

during any other time of year I can use small pieces of fly tape attached to tin cans, bells, or any noisy, annoying thing, but during the winter.....

I realize that the best offense is a good defense; I'm building and reinforcing my brrrd area and looking into electric fencing. I guess I'm just curious:
Has anyone out there had any luck with any commercial or homemade deterrents (but not poisons)for any pests ('coons, skunks, cats, squirrels, sparrows, mice, ad nauseum) ?

Many if not most of the sprays, smells, and olfactory cues are useless and some of them will actually attract predators. The various types of animal urine is a prime example of predator pee attracting predators.

The attractant is the hope that the wolf, coyote, etc that peed around your chicken pen left a scrap of bunny rabbet or a toothsome piece of your favorite hen behind.

I accelerate and swerve for raccoons!

There may actually be something out there like you are thinking about, but in truth, reliance upon gimmicks like scents, sounds, lights, etc is not the direction you need to be headed. For coons and all other predators, for protection at night, think physical exclusion. Build a coop they can't get into and nothing else matters.

SUNP1107.JPG Dream on..........

coons seem to be attracted to a lot of things, skunks are even worse. don't think anything would scare them away.

maybe some wolf urine or a predator urine but still i think they would be curious what the smell is.

There may actually be something out there like you are thinking about, but in truth, reliance upon gimmicks like scents, sounds, lights, etc is not the direction you need to be headed. For coons and all other predators, for protection at night, think physical exclusion. Build a coop they can't get into and nothing else matters.

View attachment 1612318 Dream on..........
THIS!:bow

Coons are plentiful this year, even with a fort knox coop they'll still try their hardest to get in they're hungry. You won't deter them, iv'e tried. We had our first snowfall and that really showed the predator mass. It was scary, and all the biggest prints went where? Right to the coop! Trapping started yesterday, two possums and a coon so far and i'm by no means done. So no, don't waste your time and money fortify and eliminate. Sounds harsh, and it is but it is much better than the alternative.:)

I've got my own raccoon issues at the moment and can tell you from experience that lights absolutely don't work. And I have seen them actually eating the moth balls I put out to keep them off the deck. At first I hoped it would make him sick and look elsewhere for food. But he was back the next night eating the rest of them.

I found honey/fruit/eggs and a have a heart trap will contain a Raccoon (without catching cats) then from there I execute them. I will not even handle the trap with out welding gloves and I never hold the trap with in one foot of my body, in fact I drag it from the one corner of the trap they can't reach. And when I have to lift it to submerge it in a giant garbage can it is held as far away from me as possible. Sounds mean, like something I could never do but seeing my favorite chickens with missing heads spread through out the neighborhood can turn some of the most empathic people into stone cold Raccoon killers. I handle other predators differently but Raccoons I will go out of my way to get rid of ASAP and I never relocate them.

(My apologies in advance if this a repeat thread. If it is, please point me in the direction I can find it.)

I have seen quite a few posts on the internet about using different smells, sprays, etc to deter raccoons:
--cinnamon, cloves,etc (doesn't make sense-love cin/raisin bread fed to brrrds)
--moth balls :)lau)
--pepper spray/mace or homemade hot pepper/garlic spray or cayenne powder (used in garden/flowerbed for neighbors cats, but apparently wore off after a few days)
--??????????????

during any other time of year I can use small pieces of fly tape attached to tin cans, bells, or any noisy, annoying thing, but during the winter.....

I realize that the best offense is a good defense; I'm building and reinforcing my brrrd area and looking into electric fencing. I guess I'm just curious:
Has anyone out there had any luck with any commercial or homemade deterrents (but not poisons)for any pests ('coons, skunks, cats, squirrels, sparrows, mice, ad nauseum) ?
For mice, I use peppermint extract. 2oz bottle in 18oz spray bottle, fill with water. I sprrsyed every night first week. Then every other, ect...Now it's every 3 nights. It's supposed to work on coons too. I haven't seen any.

Back
Top Bottom