Olive Egger and egg color

I think the kinda the same thing just happened to me. I purchased an Olive Egger pullet from a supposidly reputable breeder and today, I caught her in the nest. I believe she left me a brown egg!! Very disappointed . :hmm :hit
Awe, what a bummer, Albertan! It reality is disappointing, isn't it? It is a beautiful egg, though :)

I think the kinda the same thing just happened to me. I purchased an Olive Egger pullet from a supposidly reputable breeder and today, I caught her in the nest. I believe she left me a brown egg!! Very disappointed . :hmm :hit
Don't be too quick to think that the egg is hers. Could've very easily been laid by the hen who was in there before her. Pen her separately to find out for sure.

You should contact he breeder once you are sure and let her/him know. I would want to know.

Feel free to share a picture, if you like! That's too bad when that happens. All that anticipation and then getting nothing like you thought you would.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about... I collected these eggs this morning. The only colored egg layers I have are the Ameracaunas I purchased from McMurray Hatchery. The blue egg you see (next to the green one) is an infertile Cream Legbar that I just took out of the incubator. Those eggs from my girls look pretty solidly green to me.... 😂

20210328_150714.jpg

Here's an example of what I'm talking about... I collected these eggs this morning. The only colored egg layers I have are the Ameracaunas I purchased from McMurray Hatchery. The blue egg you see (next to the green one) is an infertile Cream Legbar that I just took out of the incubator. Those eggs from my girls look pretty solidly green to me.... 😂

View attachment 2589250
Strange! They really are green green, huh? Very pretty strange green :lol:

Strange! They really are green green, huh? Very pretty strange green :lol:

Yep.... Not even blue-green but definitely green green.... Maybe a shade lighter than an olive egger. Not what I expected when I bought Ameracaunas from a well known hatchery.... 😂 Oh well. In another week I'll be hatching out 6 Cream Legbars so hopefully I get at least one girl in the batch.... Then I can check the box for blue egg layers.

Well if they were advertised as laying blue you should get free blue laying chicks in my opinion. Anyways, its a pretty nice green, sort of 70's avacado.
Those should make some amazing olive eggers if you have a marans to cross them to!
My CLB lays a really pale blue like yours. I am in the process of hunting down ameracauna eggs that are blue-blue. Its a challenge!

Back
Top Bottom