Olive Egger has blue ring around egg

mom1776

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2016
Charleston, SC
I have an Olive Egger that is about 3 years old but I just got her. She has had two eggs...yesterday's was a beautiful olive color (I was so thrilled...my first egg) but todays is olive also but with a blue ring around the smaller part of the egg. Do you know what would cause this? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm new to this. Have 11 other chickens but they aren't old enough for eggs yet.

I have an Olive Egger that is about 3 years old but I just got her. She has had two eggs...yesterday's was a beautiful olive color (I was so thrilled...my first egg) but todays is olive also but with a blue ring around the smaller part of the egg. Do you know what would cause this? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm new to this. Have 11 other chickens but they aren't old enough for eggs yet.
Just a glitch in the "paint system" --a simplified explanation is that an olive egg is a blue shelled egg with brown "spray paint" over the top. Similar to how a brown egg is actually a white egg with the brown spray paint. Blue shelled eggs are colored throughout the shell, so when the glitch in the brown paint came about the blue shell underneath was left exposed.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! We're glad you're here!

Just a glitch in the "paint system" --a simplified explanation is that an olive egg is a blue shelled egg with brown "spray paint" over the top. Similar to how a brown egg is actually a white egg with the brown spray paint. Blue shelled eggs are colored throughout the shell, so when the glitch in the brown paint came about the blue shell underneath was left exposed.
x2. Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Back
Top Bottom