Olive Egger has blue ring around egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom1776, Jan 7, 2016.

1. mom1776

mom1776 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    I have an Olive Egger that is about 3 years old but I just got her. She has had two eggs...yesterday's was a beautiful olive color (I was so thrilled...my first egg) but todays is olive also but with a blue ring around the smaller part of the egg. Do you know what would cause this? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm new to this. Have 11 other chickens but they aren't old enough for eggs yet.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Just a glitch in the "paint system" --a simplified explanation is that an olive egg is a blue shelled egg with brown "spray paint" over the top. Similar to how a brown egg is actually a white egg with the brown spray paint. Blue shelled eggs are colored throughout the shell, so when the glitch in the brown paint came about the blue shell underneath was left exposed.

3. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    Welcome! We're glad you're here!

x2. Couldn't have said it better myself :)

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x3. Any pictures?
    :D

5. mom1776

mom1776 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    Thank you! I was afraid it was a sign of lack of something that I needed to know about. Still got a lot to learn.

6. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Even the most experienced chicken keeper is always learning :) Good luck with your chickens

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by